A&H

Quick question about leaving the field

Martiju

A player is injured through an opponent's SFP and receives treatment. The opponent is sent off. Does the treated player need to leave the field after the treatment (and therefore can't take the FK or PK that might ensue)?

The Referee Store
And I thought I'd looked, but literally just found the answer. For anyone else, it depends how long the treatment takes, which is obviously discretionary.
And just in case anyone is interested in the actual wording, the law says that one of the exceptions to the player having to leave the field after treatment is when:
a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly

Additional guidance 'at the back of the book' is also given, as follows:
In principle, the delay should not be any longer than currently occurs when a medical person(s) comes on the field to assess an injury. The difference is that the point at which the referee used to require the medical person(s) and the player to leave is now the point at which the medical staff leave but the player can remain.
To ensure the injured player does not use/extend the delay unfairly, referees are advised to:
• be aware of the match situation and any potential tactical reason to delay the restart
• inform the injured player that if medical treatment is required it must be quick
• signal for the medical person(s) (not the stretchers) and, if possible, remind them to be quick
When the referee decides play should restart either:
• the medical person(s) leaves and the player remains or
• the player leaves for further assessment/treatment (stretcher signal may be necessary)
As a general guide, the restart should not be delayed for more than about 20–25 seconds beyond the point when everyone was ready for play to restart.
The referee must make full allowance for the stoppage.

And just in case anyone is interested in the actual wording, the law says that one of the exceptions to the player having to leave the field after treatment is when:

Additional guidance 'at the back of the book' is also given, as follows:

A piece of advice I was given by an assessor was to hold off with the card. Sort the injured player first to allow quick treatment and take your time issuing a card. Not always possible if game control is at risk by not being quick to take action but if you can prolong the card, the player can usually stay on the pitch for the next phase.

1. Get there quick and take card out at the same time.
2. De-escalate any flashpoints
3. Call on trainer if needed
4. Issue card
5. Wait for assessment of injured player and if treatment can be done quick allow on pitch treatment.
6. If treatment is not quick ask injured player to leave FOP (if safe)
7. Restart play.

Edit: footnote. If you need thinking time, move taking card out from point 1 to just before point 4.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
1. Get there quick and take card out at the same time.
2. De-escalate any flashpoints
3. Call on trainer if needed
4. Issue card
5. Wait for assessment of injured player and if treatment can be done quick allow on pitch treatment.
6. If treatment is not quick ask injured player to leave FOP (if safe)
7. Restart play.

Did I miss anything?

Point 1 doesn't really work in England below National League level, as the FA and therefore observers don't like quick cards. I know you aren't showing it straight away, but you are taking it out and that kills thinking time. But the advice would be pretty much the same except card / wallet comes out at point 4 not point 1.

Point 1 doesn't really work in England below National League level, as the FA and therefore observers don't like quick cards. I know you aren't showing it straight away, but you are taking it out and that kills thinking time. But the advice would be pretty much the same except card / wallet comes out at point 4 not point 1.
Good point. Inserted a footnote.

Getting the card out quick can be very useful to stop dissent, escalation and e.g. Players running in. Used with care though.

Ive only had to issue to red cards since i started reffing (start of this season)

It was a punch up between two U13s, they knew it was coming but personally found it better to take a bit of time before issuing the card.

Getting the card out quick can be very useful to stop dissent, escalation and e.g. Players running in. Used with care though.

Depends on country I guess, but that is very heavily discouraged in England right up to level 2B. Referees are expected to use the correct cautioning technique (i.e. isolate, obtain name, show card, warn as to future conduct) unless there are serious extenuating circumstances - e.g. a shocking challenge that is likely to lead to a near riot.

Depends on country I guess, but that is very heavily discouraged in England right up to level 2B. Referees are expected to use the correct cautioning technique (i.e. isolate, obtain name, show card, warn as to future conduct) unless there are serious extenuating circumstances - e.g. a shocking challenge that is likely to lead to a near riot.
Fair enough.

We are encouraged to do it in the right circs. I failed promotion to the 5th tier a couple of years ago as I handled a flashpoint sideline tackle poorly. To stop the mouthy team’s RC appeals getting the card out early was an obvious move. But I also missed the GK come 60 yards for a shout.

”Making mistakes since 2013 so you don’t have to”

Back