A&H

Question

The Referee Store
As far as I am concerned, if you are good enough, you are old enough. But some leagues have some rules in place for safeguarding so ask your appointments secretary.

As far as I am concerned, if you are good enough, you are old enough. But some leagues have some rules in place for safeguarding so ask your appointments secretary.

Not in the UK. Until you’re 16, you can only referee one age group below and younger

Also - are you allowed to referee in a different area to your CFA. I am based in Staffordshire and have. Tournament in Buxton (Derbyshire)

Is this allowed ?

Also - are you allowed to referee in a different area to your CFA. I am based in Staffordshire and have. Tournament in Buxton (Derbyshire)

Is this allowed ?

Yes, you can referee anywhere in England as long as the competition is affiliated and sanctioned. To referee outside of England you have to apply to your CFA for international clearance.

Take care about jumping up ages too soon. Take your time getting really good at the 10s and the 12s before worrying about doing 14s. Yes, you want challenges, but you want the basic stuff to be routine and automatic before you push yourself into games where foul recognition and player management becomes more challenging. (And it becomes more physically demanding.) If you don't have one, try to find a mentor who can help you evaluate where you are and what you need to do to improve.)

You have lots of time to make the big time.

Mix it up with as many age groups as you can. You need as many challenges as possible and you will only get those with the older age groups.......try open age as soon as you can.....

In my game today , I had a parent becoming a bit roudy and shouty on the touch line aimed at the opposition manager. I warned her about her behaviour and she quieten down but do I still need to submit a misconduct report on whole game system ?

In my game today , I had a parent becoming a bit roudy and shouty on the touch line aimed at the opposition manager. I warned her about her behaviour and she quieten down but do I still need to submit a misconduct report on whole game system ?
You should not approach a spectator directly but direct any issues with spectators through the home team manager. The home team are responsible for managing all behaviour at their games, including that of home and away spectators.

You should not approach a spectator directly but direct any issues with spectators through the home team manager. The home team are responsible for managing all behaviour at their games, including that of home and away spectators.

I get that but we also have a responsibility as referees to dismiss spectators. There were no respect Marshall’s from either side which I was not very happy about but I have always been told that we should go and speak to spectators.

I get that but we also have a responsibility as referees to dismiss spectators. There were no respect Marshall’s from either side which I was not very happy about but I have always been told that we should go and speak to spectators.
You don't have a responsibility to dismiss spectators. Respect Marshalls are a rare occurrence on many leagues. You should not be approaching spectators at this stage of your refereeing career/experience.

Last edited:
@Brian Hamilton i have withheld a crucial piece of evidence in this case. The person who the spectator was arguing with... was the home team manager🤦‍♂️. So usingbun was impossible so I felt I should speak to both of them and it calmed down, however normally I would use manager and or respect Marshall’s.

Back