A&H

QPR v WBA

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict

What do we think?

Not a fans post - honest - we won and Simon Hooper had an excellent match, diffused a couple of situations very well and, although frowned upon by some I know, did a lot of explaining of decisions by action.

But this one?

Middle of the pitch, not sure its even a foul, but surely players do have duty of care based on the circumstances - in this case 'small' ground with advertising close to the pitch. Its a reckless challenge and a yellow for me. Player received 5 minutes of treatment for a nasty cut and came back on with a huge bandage, that by the end was leaking blood (NOT allowed I know).

Some fans wanted a red (obvs!) but I was surprised Simon Hooper didn't even give a fk (restarted with a QPR throw)

Thoughts?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Totally intentional and incredibly dangerous, the outcome / injury is predictable.

Its quite clearly a foul, charges him in the back
So a red for you then? - the wider debate of consequences v action is what I'm getting at here I think.

For me, it's similar to an attacker pushing a defender into a goalkeeper and into a post. There are consequences for an action like this that wouldn't necessarily be the same for a similar action in the centre circle.

Definite free kick, if a ref goes red or yellow here I’d be willing to agree with it, but probably a red for me. For the ref to not give a free kick or a card though is poor in my opinion

The contact is clearly into the back. FK and yellow at minimum. I'm going red at any level game I work on.

Quite a debut from the 21 year old from Oklahoma who looks like an American footballer.

Last edited:
Definitely red for me.

I observed a supply league referee a few years where a player did almost exactly the same as this, except it was at a ground with a fixed concrete barrier wall. It caused serious injury and my advice to the referee was that it should have been a red card, but he didn't even give a foul.

Think we are all agreed that the correct decision in the OP is a red. This is relatively straightforward as it's clearly a foul. What are people's thoughts if the contact had been 'normal football contact' (say shoulder to shoulder) that wouldn't be penalised at all elsewhere on the pitch but the outcome had been the same?

Simple red for me purely down to the consequence of the contact.

However, if that contact is a few yards closer to half way and the players falls into the dugout and gets up unscathed then it’s nothing more than a FK.

Without the consequence it’d be difficult to justify much more for a fairly straightforward foul.

Think we are all agreed that the correct decision in the OP is a red. This is relatively straightforward as it's clearly a foul. What are people's thoughts if the contact had been 'normal football contact' (say shoulder to shoulder) that wouldn't be penalised at all elsewhere on the pitch but the outcome had been the same?

Had this. A shouldery thing near touchline on astro pitch, one was stronger than other, momenteum of other one took him off the pitch, onto the concrete, where he slipped into the 5s goals that you find at the side of the park.

he was hurt, not so that he was unable continue, but, could easy havd bashed his head

i got lucky there was no flare up, gen apologetic etc.

i restarted with fk, no card, but obv told bigger guy just take extta care,; now that can see what can happen.
awkward had other player been badly hurt or indeed smashed head into the frane

We have a university with a club program that has their field with a concrete wall close to one touchline. Last time I was ar the ref said to the teams of someone gets sent into it it'll be a card we just don't know which one.

I just can't see a red card in this at all.
Very definition of reckless though and an easy caution every time.

Thanks all for the responses. I was there, level with me and but opposite side of the ground. Think ref was in a decent position.

QPR manager said afterwards the 4th told him he didn't think it was a foul.

Obviously a) that might not be true or more likely b) 4th supporting the referee's decision.

So you can't see that the safety of an opponent was endangered?
That's very (deliberately so) generic term.
Every tackle, every header, every clearance is endangering an opponent to some extent.
The authorities give us guidance on what crosses the line but in no way is this a black and white part of the law.
This push results in no injury 9/10. I can think of no similar incident that received a red card. Happy to be corrected.

Back