A&H

Pushing in the back from high balls

Mada

In the adults games I have refereed recently, I've noticed the amount of calls for free kicks for pushing in the back at every high ball (free kick or thrown in) is excessive. It's got to the point where I'd be giving a free kick every time a free kick was taken if I were to take notice of the calls players are making and the ball would rarely be in play. You'd see a situation where it would be 90 minutes of free kicks and no actual passing.

I countered this by moving my position to be level with where I think the ball will be thrown to so I can see if there are any hands pushing. Because of this I have to almost ignore the thrower at thrown ins because it's difficult to watch both the pushing and the thrown in technique at the same time. After the first few calls I gave one free kick against the defender who made a point of keeping his arms down which worked.

It's hard when there are 2 players going for the same ball and it's hard to see what the actual infringement is when both are competing, unless you see a very obvious push in the back.

Is this an issue for anyone else? Is there anything else I could try? It was almost incessant at the weekend and I really had to think about my positioning to keep on top of it.

The Referee Store
Had this in a few games this season. In my last observation I was picked up on being in line with the thrower and not in the 'drop zone'. What would you rather spot, a foul throw or a potential elbow/push? Also be proactive with calls such as "hands down" or "no pushing", making any foul easier to give.

In the adults games I have refereed recently, I've noticed the amount of calls for free kicks for pushing in the back at every high ball (free kick or thrown in) is excessive. It's got to the point where I'd be giving a free kick every time a free kick was taken if I were to take notice of the calls players are making and the ball would rarely be in play. You'd see a situation where it would be 90 minutes of free kicks and no actual passing.

I countered this by moving my position to be level with where I think the ball will be thrown to so I can see if there are any hands pushing. Because of this I have to almost ignore the thrower at thrown ins because it's difficult to watch both the pushing and the thrown in technique at the same time. After the first few calls I gave one free kick against the defender who made a point of keeping his arms down which worked.

It's hard when there are 2 players going for the same ball and it's hard to see what the actual infringement is when both are competing, unless you see a very obvious push in the back.

Is this an issue for anyone else? Is there anything else I could try? It was almost incessant at the weekend and I really had to think about my positioning to keep on top of it.
This is defi itely more of an issue the lower down the football levels. Happens much less at supply league and even less at contrib.
Assume virtually non existent at the top levels based on what I see on TV.

The only way to manage this is to be in good positions for drop zones.

Think of it this way, to use your own example, what is more important, a correctly taken throw in or identifying a foul challenge? Yes, it's nice to be able to see both, and there are positions you can take to help. For example, a throw in I stand on the touchline down field, or upfield from the thrower depending on direction. That way I can see the feet and hands but also be in a good position to identify any foul contact. Not always practical as you don't want to stand on ARs toes but when I reffed alone CARs only did ins and outs.
This position also opens up the rest of FOP in your vision rather than cutting 75% of it out.

Lots of players feel contact when in an aerial challenge, which most of the time is normal football contact. If you are there to see it you can say with certainty there was no foul. If you aren't in the right positions that becomes harder. You are looking for a side on view so you can see what happens between the two players..

Also, it won't ever stop so learn to ignore it.

Had this in a few games this season. In my last observation I was picked up on being in line with the thrower and not in the 'drop zone'. What would you rather spot, a foul throw or a potential elbow/push? Also be proactive with calls such as "hands down" or "no pushing", making any foul easier to give.
Do you actually say 'hands down' whilst the ball is in play? Reason for asking is that I was recently watching an experienced ref on a Sunday local game and he would often say 'easy' or 'keep it calm' as there was a potential 50:50 challenge. I've not particularly noticed referees do that before and wonder if it's common?

In answer to the OP, I always tend to nip these things in the bud. I had a couple of early on nudges on high balls but as one's leaning back and one forward then no issue. Once arms are raised and there's a little push, that's when I blow and players know they're not going to get away with it.

Do you actually say 'hands down' whilst the ball is in play? Reason for asking is that I was recently watching an experienced ref on a Sunday local game and he would often say 'easy' or 'keep it calm' as there was a potential 50:50 challenge. I've not particularly noticed referees do that before and wonder if it's common?

I was being observed for promotion the other day. Communicated as above throughout the game, sayings such as "keep it clean" or "hands down" etc, observer said I managed the game well and the teams are fiery usually, there were two free kicks in the first half! Some do, some don't. For me it depends on the tempo of the game, can avoid a good few cards if used correctly.

I have noticed that going up through the promotion ladder referees don't use verbals as much, but I think certainly at grass roots level it avoids some bad challenges and aids match control.

I’d be a little more careful with “hands down” as no player jumps with their hands down. Just takes one aggrieved smartarse to point it out that an opponent had his hands up after you explicitly said not to, and you didn’t do anything about it. Rest of it is sound advice at that level though.

The very first time you get a chance - corner, throw in, FK, GK - yell 'hands down guys, I'm watching!' That way you can say they were warned and made the decision to ignore you. When it comes to actually identifying fouls there are a few things I'm looking at:
  • Is the movement of the hands natural or is it a 'push'? Its tough to jump without moving your arms so a moving arm isn't necessarily a foul but look for a pushing action.
  • Linked to which is what is the player trying to do? Is any contact part of an attempt from them to win the ball? Or is it just an attempt to prevent the opponent going for it. Eyes are key here - is the player looking at the ball or at his opponent. Willie Collum managed this aspect of the game perfectly in the Scottish Cup yesterday (other aspects of his game should be discussed elsewhere!)
  • Has the opponent been unable to do something as a result of the 'push'? Lets face it, if you want to penalise every bit of contact that there is you'll blow constantly. If the ball is five yards over the head of the incident in question and they weren't getting to the ball without a push then move on.
You can see that all of the above are linked. My main thing is 'equal opportunity'. If both players are doing something then don't penalise one of them. Remember that everyone is allowed to make contact when the ball is in playing distance and that everyone is entitled to a position on the field of play - if you believe the contact was justified as part of an attempt for the ball then crack on and play the game.

When I got mentored for the first time I was asked about foul throws and I said I'm not overtly fussy on them I'm more concerned about where the ball is going to land and potential fouls. My mentor pointed out that the initial offence is a foul throw and gave me some tips on positioning at throw ins.

But usually after a game I have the words IN THE BACK REFEREE stuck in my head haha.

IMHO, players push in the back on TIs because they often get away with it. And that's why you don't see it at higher levels where the Rs are more likely to catch it. I've also found that catching it early in the game can change behavior (not always, of course).

Its not hard to spot everything its impossible.

If complain that ive missed a push or a shove i just say there is 16/17 players in the area its impossible to watch it all and that usually works.

What's more important, a foul throw which will just result in a throw in, or a push that will result in a direct free kick? Drop zone is undoubtedly the most important area.

Side on view.

Looking for the attacker aggressively "backing in" to the defender and causing them to lose balance or when the defender goes up, ducking forward so the defender goes over the top of them.

Looking for the defender pushing - typically you will see the extension of the arm from the elbow into the back (the fact of the hand being in the back is not an offence, they are entitled to protect their space), pulling - from side on you can see the grasping action on the shirt, or "laddering" where they are holding the player down with their bodyweight and using them to get more height.

Remember, an attacker can't see what the defender is doing behind them, they will feel the hand in the back and assume it's a foul, using the above recognition tools is a way to differentiate between a foul and the defender protecting their space.

You will continue to hear these shouts over and over again, its like is just programmed into players. I had a player on Saturday shout it before the players had even attempted to challenge for the ball. I had to laugh. Unless its obvious then i am just getting on with it. Players will naturally feel for the opposing player when challenging for the ball so a hand may be on the player, is that an offence? I find that once i have ignored the first few shouts then they start realising that i am not going to to give them. Same with foul throw referee! They are just testing you to see what they can get away with really.

Do you actually say 'hands down' whilst the ball is in play?

I've not. But where I have seen minor/trivial holding, nudging incidents I have said to a senior defender or captain 'please let them know they're taking a massive risk doing this', and they usually sort it out quickly, more so if you do it at or before a corner-kick as they all know the significance of you bringing it up at that point.

Kept Wor Shearer in a career for 20 years with his Fosbury Flop in front of the unsuspecting defender. Absolute diving cheat!

I'm looking for an extended arm applying pressure. I'm unlikely to penalise chest to back contact
Most shouts for 'in the back', don't meet this criteria

With the proactive shouts e.g. hands down, it’s all about timing and not overdoing it. The best refs save it and use it once at the perfect moment. IMHO of course.

I usually get around 10 mins into the game and then announce when the ball next goes out for a throw in,

'okay guys, I think we've established you've all got a back, now can we please stop with the constant shouts of in the back ref'

That tends to stop it for me.

Back