A&H

Promotions, advancement

volt177

Also 3W
Level 6 Referee
Hi refchat,
I have been observing silently for a while on some threads for quite some time, but made an account to make my first post.
I am currently 16, soon 17 and have been refereeing local for 2 years now (up to u16). I am seeking to earn promotion to level 6 as reaching some significant national level is one of my aspirations. I signed up to a local divisions step 4/5/6 list for next season - would most likely begin at AR due to my age and inexperience in the semi-professional game. Is the step up big? I am used to dealing with standard backchat at Sunday league level, is this a good place to begin?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Hi refchat,
I have been observing silently for a while on some threads for quite some time, but made an account to make my first post.
I am currently 16, soon 17 and have been refereeing local for 2 years now (up to u16). I am seeking to earn promotion to level 6 as reaching some significant national level is one of my aspirations. I signed up to a local divisions step 4/5/6 list for next season - would most likely begin at AR due to my age and inexperience in the semi-professional game. Is the step up big? I am used to dealing with standard backchat at Sunday league level, is this a good place to begin?
Thanks
Welcome aboard!

I’d recommend trying to mix up some grassroots open age middles with some AR duties.

It’d probably be beneficial to get at least half a season of open age football under your belt before looking at promotion too.

The jump from U16’s to Step 5/6 football will be huge and may be a shock, perhaps try and watch a game or 2 to prepare, see the standard of football and what’s expected of AR’s at that level.

Whatever you chose to do, remember the most important factor.

Enjoyment. 👍🏻

As a level 7/5c you may be able to get AR appointments at Step 5/6 leagues, although the situation in England varies by county.
Level 4 referees are the norm at that standard of football. At Step 4, referees are Level 3 assisted by Level 4 AR's.
You will adjust to the changes, which will include supporters behind you at every match trying to be funny, trying to put you off, and being rude about match officials and decisions.
Clubs at that level are often paying players so you are moving towards the realm of part-time professionals, with greater rewards for clubs than your average Sunday League club.
With the new promotion criteria now published, you can look to progress by earning promotion in a suitable timeframe, and you also need to referee in local parks football to gain experience which will benefit you going forward.
The important thing is to learn from every game (good and bad, both useful to think about) and referee or line at a level where you can enjoy doing it.

As a level 7/5c you may be able to get AR appointments at Step 5/6 leagues, although the situation in England varies by county.
Level 4 referees are the norm at that standard of football. At Step 4, referees are Level 3 assisted by Level 4 AR's.
You will adjust to the changes, which will include supporters behind you at every match trying to be funny, trying to put you off, and being rude about match officials and decisions.
Clubs at that level are often paying players so you are moving towards the realm of part-time professionals, with greater rewards for clubs than your average Sunday League club.
With the new promotion criteria now published, you can look to progress by earning promotion in a suitable timeframe, and you also need to referee in local parks football to gain experience which will benefit you going forward.
The important thing is to learn from every game (good and bad, both useful to think about) and referee or line at a level where you can enjoy doing it.
I don't have much AR experience, been officiating from the middle and enjoying it at youth clubs in my area. Thanks for the advice 👍

Back