A&H

Promotion

The Referee Store
Typically you spend a year doing each promotion, so it would cover 2 years to do those 2 levels. It's also normal for the County FA to require you to have done a decent quantity of matches in the preceding year - they will say 20, but won't hold you to that too strictly if you qualify part way through a season and only manage 15 or so.

Some CFA's will offer the option of a double-jump, doing both promotions in one season - literally requiring twice the number of matches, observations etc. But that's often a bit frowned on.

Typically you spend a year doing each promotion, so it would cover 2 years to do those 2 levels. It's also normal for the County FA to require you to have done a decent quantity of matches in the preceding year - they will say 20, but won't hold you to that too strictly if you qualify part way through a season and only manage 15 or so.

Some CFA's will offer the option of a double-jump, doing both promotions in one season - literally requiring twice the number of matches, observations etc. But that's often a bit frowned on.

Would it be less frowned upon if you're over 30? I'm doing 7-5 at the mo but that's because I'm 31 and wanting to progress.

Would it be less frowned upon if you're over 30? I'm doing 7-5 at the mo but that's because I'm 31 and wanting to progress.
Completely not. Many of the young'uns have absolutely zero man-management skills.

Personally, I don’t see an issue with a referee going from 7-5 in a double jump. If you’re good enough and all…

I do however, think the option to go 6-4 should be eradicated. I tried it at the start of the first Covid curtailed season and can confidently say that it’s too much to try in one season and wouldn’t leave you prepared for step 6 football in Cornwall.

The difference in the leagues you’d ref as a 7 & 6 in Cornwall is almost non existent, but the jump from the county’s step 7 league to the step 6 league is huge. A full season in the step 7 league is crucial to help develop the skills to cope with the step up in standard.

But in answer to the OP. I qualified in January 2019 and am now at Level 5 and, finger crossed, on course for promotion to Level 4 this season.
That is without any double jumps.

I too was 31 when I started and had a bit of a head start having played open age football to a good standard for 15 years!

Bang on Will and then another significant jump up to the step 5 football we have here now.

Back