A&H

Promotion to 4 or stick at 5??

whitehartref

Seriously thinking about applying for promotion back to level 4. I have been off Level 4 for three years after coming off due to starting my new business and didn't feel I could commit fully to it. I was on previously for 6 years. My main concern is the fitness test ( as usual! ) I'm now nearly 49, still reffing and was asked to cover for a few level four games last season and suddenly realised how much I missed working as a team. I live out in the ' sticks ' so don't have many colleagues around me and definately no running track so have to do with round running and measuring the distance in my car beforehand.
Anyone got any tips or advice?
Has anyone else reapplied for promotion in the past?

The Referee Store
For calculating distance there are several websites like how far is my run? you can then plan a route before hand and make it the distance that you want. Another tip is park run during the close season. it will record your 5k times and is on grass and will have an effect. If a running club isnt too far away join that. There might be other runners who are out and about in your "stick"!

Two of the referees promoted in West Riding this season are ex L4's. If you enjoy, have the commitment and the fitness, then I would say go for it.

You can only not be promoted, so your life will not change in that instance.

For calculating distance there are several websites like how far is my run? you can then plan a route before hand and make it the distance that you want. Another tip is park run during the close season. it will record your 5k times and is on grass and will have an effect. If a running club isnt too far away join that. There might be other runners who are out and about in your "stick"!
Thanks for that. The problem I have is keeping going! I'm fit enough I know that but it's getting in the right frame of mind when training alone to keep going.

Thanks for that. The problem I have is keeping going! I'm fit enough I know that but it's getting in the right frame of mind when training alone to keep going.
You'd be surprised when you have something to work for. I am currently training for great north run/ fitness test (latter taking precedent currently). I dont have a training partner but I know I have to do it as I am working towards something. When there's no goal or event thats what makes it tough, but adding in a timeframe like and event e.g..fitness test helps make all the difference about getting out

Is there a school near you that has a running track that you can use? I used to go to a local one and nip over the fence so I could get used to running laps. The lines are always still there over the summer, and this is more use than just running on the streets. Quite often schools have sports centres attached so you can get on site and they never usually mind people using the track to run on. We have a local school with amazing sports facilities, including a proper running track. If you can find one like that then that will help with running on the right surface, because that makes a real difference.

I also never had a running partner so split the laps up into chunks with a definite time for each - for example, if you want to run 2,600m in 12 minutes then break each down into 100m chunks. You then have to run each lap in about 110 seconds and each 100m stretch in 27 seconds. Once you have got used to this pace then decide how far you want to do for the test and step it up to that level. Get used to running at this pace consistently on your own and then when you are running with others it will be a lot easier.

The only thing is to make sure that you run with someone on the test who does a pace you are comfortable with - one year we had a guy who was a serious runner and lapped everyone. A couple of people tried to go with him and burned themselves out and only just made it.

The goal helps. I did all my marathon training long runs by myself and it was sometimes hard to keep going or get going. but i did and you will as well.

Back