A&H

Promotion scheme

callmemyref

Hello,

I’m on double jump promotion this season. And I need to referee a certain number of matches by the end of April, but it looks like I won’t be able to do it. Is it possible to ask for 2 week extension?

The Referee Store
ask your CFA to find out...can't hurt to ask and they're the only ones who can answer

but in reality, i've never known an extension to be given...

how many do you need between now and the end of april? max 20 games i assume? that'll be doable reffing saturdays, sundays and midweeks though

ask your CFA to find out...can't hurt to ask and they're the only ones who can answer

how many do you need between now and the end of april? max 20 games i assume? that'll be doable reffing saturdays, sundays and midweeks though
I need to do 23 games by the end of April, and I will be away for a week

I did get given a little bit of wiggle room on my 7-6, but a) that was quite a few years ago and things have since tightened up, b) I had evidence of having done well over 20 matches the season before and c) I had missed a lot of matches through a combination of a documented injury and a particularly wet winter. I had also done 2 or 3 more lines than required and my admin was spot-on (it hasn't been as good since!), so those factors probably helped - if I'd done middles instead of those extra lines, I would have met the requirements.

Honestly, if the end of April is your deadline, you should have time to squeeze it in. I managed to (somewhat accidentally!) do 10 matches this October, so it's definitely not impossible to get 20 in 3 months even if you haven't done a single qualifying game yet. It will require you to make yourself very available, but that's part of the deal if you're looking to double-jump.

I'd also strongly advise against asking for an extension at this point - with 3 months left, I think your RDO would legitimately be asking questions regarding why you've given up on meeting the targets already. If it gets to a week or two away from the deadline, matches have been allocated and you're looking to be a couple of games short, there may be value in sending in an email in documenting matches that would otherwise have got you over the line if the weather/covid had been kinder and seeing if it helps (so make sure you log these cancelled matches NOW). But doing it this far away from the deadline I think would come across as making excuses.

So they can fail me only because of the few matches, even if I get good marks?

So they can fail me only because of the few matches, even if I get good marks?
Yes, because it is a national requirement that you must referee 20 games. In exceptional seasons where weather has caused major disruption the FA have allowed an extension, but this is looking like a very dry and relatively warm winter, and even with Covid present many lagues are going to be finishing very early.

It should have been made very clear when you went 7 to 5 that it is far from easy to achieve 40 suitable games in the middle in a playing season.

just a idea my local leagues under 18 do Sunday afternoon and I’m sure a few can be under 18 in promotion season

Just smash as many games in as you can and see where it gets you between now and the deadline. If you fall short then you fall short. Get them in early next season. Don't worry about things you can't change now, it's pointless.

I need to do 23 games by the end of April, and I will be away for a week
There’s 25 days (just Saturday & Sundays) between now and the end of April.

Plus I’m sure you’ll be able to pick up some midweek games and maybe a couple on Good Friday / Easter Monday.

You should be fine (if you’re available) - if you’re struggling, give the appointments officers on the leagues you work on and let them know the situation. I’m sure they’ll try and help you out with making sure you’re on games.

Reactions: es1
14 of the 20 have to be open age, so yes you can use a few U18 and U17 games.
16 of the 20 actually, but you're right that picking up the allowable U18 games would be a good start. Women's Open Age also counts so might also be some Sunday afternoon games to top things up

Most double jumps would have a cut-off mid-season for the first promotion, you've not even fulfilled that criteria yet by the sound of it.

16 of the 20 actually, but you're right that picking up the allowable U18 games would be a good start. Women's Open Age also counts so might also be some Sunday afternoon games to top things up

20% in Derbyshire can be 18's, can't be lower than that age.

Would've worked for me last year but haven't needed to this year for my own promotion push.

Last edited:
Yes, because it is a national requirement that you must referee 20 games. In exceptional seasons where weather has caused major disruption the FA have allowed an extension, but this is looking like a very dry and relatively warm winter, and even with Covid present many lagues are going to be finishing very early.

It should have been made very clear when you went 7 to 5 that it is far from easy to achieve 40 suitable games in the middle in a playing season.
It’s not difficult to do 40 games , it’s difficult to do extra 10 lines as it’s 50 games in total now

There’s 25 days (just Saturday & Sundays) between now and the end of April.

Plus I’m sure you’ll be able to pick up some midweek games and maybe a couple on Good Friday / Easter Monday.

You should be fine (if you’re available) - if you’re struggling, give the appointments officers on the leagues you work on and let them know the situation. I’m sure they’ll try and help you out with making sure you’re on games.
Thank you

Back