A&H

Promotion Period

MarcoPolo147

I completed my referee course in December and am absolutely loving refereeing. Having played for 20 years, it's a refreshing change. I would like to gain promotion to the next few levels fairly quickly but our County FA isn't particularly useful with its information. Obviously you have to referee 20 games with a certain number being observed before you can progress to level 6.

Does this only include games from 1st July? Or if I applied for promotion at the beginning of next season would they count the 10+ games I would have done this season?

According to what I can see, by qualifying part way through this season I would need to wait until the beginning of the 2023/24 season before I can referee at the next level. Surely this cannot be correct... How does a mid-season promotion work?

Any help or advice for how to get promoted quicker would be much appreciated! :)

The Referee Store
The promotion season is now aligned with the playing season (this is a fairly recent change). Most CFAs will ask you to have completed 20 games in a season before allowing you on the promotion scheme.

So, you could apply to join the promotion scheme at the start of next season in September provided you've done 20 games this season. I would imaging your 5 games pre-qualification would count - it's supposed to be a measure to make sure people on the promotion scheme are actually committed to refereeing.

Then, during the promotion season you have to do 20 games. If you're successful you'll be a level 6 for the start of the following season (2023/24). There is no mid-season promotion between levels 7, 6 and 5.

There is the option to do a 'double jump' from 7 to 5 in a single year. You have to do 40 games and be observed 6 times. I'm not sure if all CFAs do this.

Promotion invites will go out around May or June time, so ask the question. If they say no at least you tried and just have to wait a year, if they say yes then game on 👍

Many counties have scrapped accelerated promotion due to Covid and I can't see it coming back personally. It was a pain in the you know what both for candidates and CFAs, and I personally suspect it will be consigned to history. Just my personal opinion though.

I completed my referee course in December and am absolutely loving refereeing. Having played for 20 years, it's a refreshing change. I would like to gain promotion to the next few levels fairly quickly but our County FA isn't particularly useful with its information. Obviously you have to referee 20 games with a certain number being observed before you can progress to level 6.

Does this only include games from 1st July? Or if I applied for promotion at the beginning of next season would they count the 10+ games I would have done this season?

According to what I can see, by qualifying part way through this season I would need to wait until the beginning of the 2023/24 season before I can referee at the next level. Surely this cannot be correct... How does a mid-season promotion work?

Any help or advice for how to get promoted quicker would be much appreciated! :)
Best advice is to somehow get to 20+ games this season (at least a good number of which should be Adult) as this is the typical criteria that CFAs will look at before accepting folk onto the promotion scheme. That said, if you're keen, endorsed by the Ref Sec on the league that you're on and ask nicely, you never know!

Back