A&H

Professional Referees in Scotland?

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
On the BBC article, they are calling for full-time referees in Scotland. Given they can't afford Goal line technology, can they afford this?

While the clubs will compare their Premiership to the EPL (which they are no where near that standard), should they expect their referees to be of EPL standard?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43204326

The Referee Store
No chance in my lifetime this will happen.

Although, two of Scotlands most prominent referees are employed by the SFA

Sure, we'll have one professional referee and he shall only be assigned to Celtic games. >_>

If it was premiership only (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30754145) £840 fee basically is full time. The problem is, premiership referee's in Scotland also do Championship games for £240. A restructure would probably be required in the categories or an increase in senior referee's for this to happen.

The second problem being, what incentive are there for the current referee's to go full time for the same rates as most have full time jobs such as being a solicitor - I know what I'd be saying if the SFA attempted to make me full time quitting my full time job for the same rates.

Although the senior referees in Scotland are not full time they put in a hell of a lot of hours and effort to get to and stay at that level. A lot of people would be surprised to learn just how many hours they commit in addition to their other jobs. What more would they do if they were full time?

Agree with the above, there is only so much training, performance reviews and taking ice baths that one person can do
2 mins into your next game, if the defender runs across your path, your not going to see the decision anyways !
For a small nation, Scotland has always been well represented at FIFA level as it is
Only my opinion but differs slightly in Scotland, there might be, 35 or so class 1 refs, but, only a dozen or so are regulars in the top league, meaning that at least unofficially, there is a division within the one classification, so being a "class 1" in England seems to mean you can be selected for any game, whereas in Scotland, there are guys sitting at the "class 1" fo 4/5/6 years without being near a top league game.

Agree with the above, there is only so much training, performance reviews and taking ice baths that one person can do
2 mins into your next game, if the defender runs across your path, your not going to see the decision anyways !
For a small nation, Scotland has always been well represented at FIFA level as it is
Only my opinion but differs slightly in Scotland, there might be, 35 or so class 1 refs, but, only a dozen or so are regulars in the top league, meaning that at least unofficially, there is a division within the one classification, so being a "class 1" in England seems to mean you can be selected for any game, whereas in Scotland, there are guys sitting at the "class 1" fo 4/5/6 years without being near a top league game.

In England we also have Select Group 1 (premier league referees) and Select Group 2 (Championship Referees) with all of SG1 and half of SG2 being full time.

In England a level 1 referee can do League 1 and League 2, as well ass the higher level FA competitions.

I’m not sure what the coverage of SG2 is, ie whether they cover all Championship games, or just the high profile ones with the “normal” level 1s doing the rest

Back