A&H

Preventing the ball from being played - restart

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
We've all seen it, the time when someone takes a tumble and the ball ends up under their knees and everyone starts having a go at getting it out. You whistle because at some point someone is going to get hurt.

What is the restart?

The Referee Store
We've all seen it, the time when someone takes a tumble and the ball ends up under their knees and everyone starts having a go at getting it out. You whistle because at some point someone is going to get hurt.

What is the restart?
idfk to opponent as soon as you identify the potential for a problem.

get in there first, proactive before everyone starts having a go

that way, you might upset that one player for two secs but , he will realise its to his benefit as you prevent him being booted, and you prevent a mass con

That's what I probably would have gone for, but I wasn't sure of what the actual offence that is being committed?

As an aside, this is where the myth “you can’t kick the ball on the ground!” comes from.

It is not an offense to be on the ground or to kick the ball on the ground. It becomes PIADM when staying on the ground creates an unfair situation where the opponent cannot safely play the ball. The younger the players, the faster we want to call this one. And if an opponent kicks the player on the ground before you have decided to call PIADM, it is a kicking foul on the knucklehead for kicking when he could not do so safely.

Further aside: this should never be called on a GK in her own PA, as she is entitled to pick the ball up.

As an aside, this is where the myth “you can’t kick the ball on the ground!” comes from.

It is not an offense to be on the ground or to kick the ball on the ground. It becomes PIADM when staying on the ground creates an unfair situation where the opponent cannot safely play the ball. The younger the players, the faster we want to call this one. And if an opponent kicks the player on the ground before you have decided to call PIADM, it is a kicking foul on the knucklehead for kicking when he could not do so safely.

Further aside: this should never be called on a GK in her own PA, as she is entitled to pick the ball up.
I'm curious how others treat this from a timing perspective. I tend to allow the fallen player a brief amount of time to get up, if they make an immediate attempt to stand up, I will expect others to delay kicking at ball in that period. Any delay for advantage and I will call PIADM. I do this because I don't perceive it to be an offense to fall down, even if it is in the unfortunate position over top the ball. @Russell Jones and others, do you do do the same or do you more or less immediately call to prevent someone from attempting to kick at ball underneath player? I've second-guessed my approach before and wanted to see what others do.

I find higher level play, with opponents nearby, the player on the ground tries to play the ball away from their dangerous position. Its more wait and see and act.

Young players and recreation leagues, I call it quicker.

I'm curious how others treat this from a timing perspective. I tend to allow the fallen player a brief amount of time to get up, if they make an immediate attempt to stand up, I will expect others to delay kicking at ball in that period. Any delay for advantage and I will call PIADM. I do this because I don't perceive it to be an offense to fall down, even if it is in the unfortunate position over top the ball. @Russell Jones and others, do you do do the same or do you more or less immediately call to prevent someone from attempting to kick at ball underneath player? I've second-guessed my approach before and wanted to see what others do.

I agree. It's not PIADM to just fall down. I'm not calling against a player who quickly gets up--it's typically the player who doesn't want to get up and let the opponent access the ball.

Young players and recreation leagues, I call it quicker.
Absolutely agree. The lower the level the faster we need to call to protect the kids.

Slightly disagree. If someone kicks the player on the ground it's doesn't have to be a foul for the player on the ground. You still have the option of first offence being IFK PIADM (I get your timing of 'decided'). This is one of those situation where it could easily escelate. So I would look at what would help me manage it better.

Slightly disagree. If someone kicks the player on the ground it's doesn't have to be a foul for the player on the ground. You still have the option of first offence being IFK PIADM (I get your timing of 'decided'). This is one of those situation where it could easily escelate. So I would look at what would help me manage it better.

IMO, if you haven't decided there is a PIADM offense before the opponent kicks the player on the ground, then the kicking foul is the right one to call. The point of PIADM in such a case is that it deters the opponent--and if the opponent quickly kicks him, he wasn't deterred. (I suspect our calls are more likely to be in harmony in real events on the field than in trying to describe what ifs.)

Back