A&H

Pre-Match

This Saturday I have been allocated a semi final fixture whereby I will have two neutral Assistant Referees.

This is my first time with two neutral linesman and so I was wondering how to make an effective pre-match?

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Oliver. ⚽

The Referee Store
This Saturday I have been allocated a semi final fixture whereby I will have two neutral Assistant Referees.

This is my first time with two neutral linesman and so I was wondering how to make an effective pre-match?

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Oliver. ⚽
Have you worked as a neutral assistant before? If so, think about what ref's have said to you - what guidance did they give you that they liked, and was there anything about the way they ran their team that didn't make much sense to you?

Then, cross reference that with the following and come up with your own "spiel": https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/pre-match-instructions.7105/
Don't be afraid to note down and refer to bullet points regarding what you need to cover, but don't script it too tightly as the AR's will get bored.

And enjoy it! Working with NAR's is a huge part of what I enjoy about getting to L5, so hopefully it goes well for you and you get plenty more opportunities to do the same!

Have you worked as a neutral assistant before? If so, think about what ref's have said to you - what guidance did they give you that they liked, and was there anything about the way they ran their team that didn't make much sense to you?

Then, cross reference that with the following and come up with your own "spiel": https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/pre-match-instructions.7105/
Don't be afraid to note down and refer to bullet points regarding what you need to cover, but don't script it too tightly as the AR's will get bored.

And enjoy it! Working with NAR's is a huge part of what I enjoy about getting to L5, so hopefully it goes well for you and you get plenty more opportunities to do the same!

Thank you very much for that! I will take it all into consideration and avoid being boring! I'll use the link too, again thank you!!

Two things I ask at local level is: How long have you been qualified and have you run the line before?

You'll need to know who will be the more senior person, but also because sometimes the local officers will assign you someone who has never ever held a flag before. In those cases you might want to be more thorough, especially if you have experience on the line yourself.

Otherwise I prefer to keep my brief short and trust in both of them as referees. I've been on the receiving end of lengthy pre-match instructions and by the time they've finished I can't even remember what their first point even was.

Two things I ask at local level is: How long have you been qualified and have you run the line before?

You'll need to know who will be the more senior person, but also because sometimes the local officers will assign you someone who has never ever held a flag before. In those cases you might want to be more thorough, especially if you have experience on the line yourself.

Otherwise I prefer to keep my brief short and trust in both of them as referees. I've been on the receiving end of lengthy pre-match instructions and by the time they've finished I can't even remember what their first point even was.

Thank you very much and I have run the line before. I feel that I will use the good bits from the pre match briefs I have experienced and ignore the poorer pre match briefs.

touch base if you have not already, hey guys, look forward to seeing you there 630pm shirt and tie if possible. or whatever your thing is

be open, be honest, keep it short, sharp simple
be clear though who you would like to do what writing wise/subs etc
ask, delegate as apt, make it feel as much of a team effort as you can

thank them afterwards for their help

touch base if you have not already, hey guys, look forward to seeing you there 630pm shirt and tie if possible. or whatever your thing is

be open, be honest, keep it short, sharp simple
be clear though who you would like to do what writing wise/subs etc
ask, delegate as apt, make it feel as much of a team effort as you can

thank them afterwards for their help
Thank you very much! And I agree it's vital to always thank your team even club assistants

Never did much of this warm up stuff, I was as fit as a butchers dog, warm ups are for wimps 🤣

Not now,, Everything hurts 😬

I wasn’t a nibbler before or at HT, rarely took a drink either,
Ditto @RobOda then. Hydration and refuelling and prrmatch nutrition are (for you, were) really important. And probably why everything hurts so much now. It might not have felt necessary at the time.
Not lecturing you, more making a point for other referees. And maybe the thread might have to move to the nutrition boards 😂

Jaffa cakes for half time

Used to do that, but I swear they're smaller and more expensive thesedays!

Just a banana and some water for me now, especially if I'm on my own since teams never use the full 15 minutes. :(

Good post and advice from @GraemeS

One thing not yet mentioned (as part of your pre-match "spiel") is always remember to finish whatever you say with "Okay guys, can you think of anything Ive missed out or have either of you got any questions for me?" ;)
Two-way communication is what it's all about.
Good luck tomorrow mate. :):cool:

My latent unfitness is nothing to do with not taking enough liquids in games 😂😂, it may be an infusion of alcohol. 90 hour week, 1200 miles, 19 visits, in 5 days. Something had to be dropped and sadly refereeing for pennies lost out.

Back