A&H

Pre-Match Procedure

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
I thought it would be good to share our pre-match procedures with one another for comparison and contrast. Here is mine:

Referee Pre-Game

K-60 Minutes

o Arrive at the field, hang kit.

o Change into warm-up clothes

o Prepare match-card

K-45 Minutes

o Introduce yourself to the two coaches; let them know that the players must be ready for an equipment check with 7 minutes until kick-off (if national anthem is to be played) or 5 minutes before kick-off (if no national anthem).

o Verify team colours (shirt, shorts, socks – don’t forget keeper).

K-40 Minutes

o Inspect game balls; ensure that they are appropriately filled with air.

o If buzz flags are to be used, test them.

o If comm equipment is to be used, test it.

K-30 Minutes

o Receive and inspect game sheet.

o Warm Up.

K-15 Minutes

o Change into match kit, begin pre-game talk.

ü AR 1: I will not allow a substitution until you signal for one; please do not signal until you are ready (which means you have verified that the players’ equipment is acceptable). I will allow substitutions on anyone’s possession but I will not allow substitutions when a team (regardless of which) is setting up for a quick restart, or on a corner kick situation. You will also be responsible for managing the technical areas and their occupants because we do not have a fourth official. When it comes to the benches, I want you to have minimal involvement: emotional outbursts are acceptable as long as they are infrequent and end quickly, there will be no reason to speak to them in these cases. Instances where I require you to involve yourself are:

§ When outbursts are occurring frequently;

§ When outbursts are sustained for long periods of time;

§ When the use of foul language can likely be heard in the stands;

§ Any act or threat of violence.

In the first three cases, ask, tell, remove should be used; however, in the final case (where there is an act or threat of violence, which could include kicking or throwing items), I should be notified immediately.

ü AR 2: I will require you to keep notes with me to the best of your ability; this means on goals and misconduct situations. Please note the number, the offence (when applicable) and the time. If you do not have a chance to write it down, that’s okay. Do not write while I am writing but instead scan the field for any incidents I may miss.

ü Team: As a team, I want to work together as much as possible. This means eye contact at every prolonged stoppage, it means vocal and subtle communication, and it means being aware of each other’s line of sight. When we are scanning the field during open play or during stoppages in play, we should be looking at different parts of the field.

ü Vocal: I want you to be vocal with the players before putting your flag up for an offence. Obviously fouls near you will be your prerogative but I want to give them a chance to play on before we call the foul. Do not shout anything at the player which could cause us to lose credibility should I decide that it’s a foul (e.g.: “No foul there”, “That’s never a foul” etc), but instead try to word it such that a foul could be given in the event that I see something you don’t (e.g.: “Play on!”) If you do shout and I blow the whistle, try your best to flag for a foul quickly so it looks like we both made the same decision.

ü Free Kicks near the PA: If there is a free kick near and around the PA, help me decide if it is in or not – especially if I am far away from play. If it is inside, continue to your normal position for a penalty kick; if it is outside, stand firm at attention where you were when the whistle went.

ü Tactics: From the first minute, I want full concentration. As ARs, on the first whistle, I want you to really focus on position. We need to make sure that we get the first boundary decision correct, make sure you nail the first close offside call by being in the right position and not making a rushed decision. As for me, I will use the first whistle to start the game as an opportunity to set the tone; on the first foul, I will give a firm whistle, run to the spot of the foul, and give a crisp signal. We have to be sure that we get the first foul decision and the first misconduct decision correct and that its administration is correct as well. [This is also the point where I will discuss any notable team tactics].

K-7 Minutes:

o The players should now be ready for their equipment to be checked; check it and then proceed to the field of play.

o National anthem is sung.

o Match gets underway.

Attachments

• Referee Pre.docx
    17.8 KB · Views: 87
The Referee Store
We don't play it at all of them but any University or semi-professional matches do have it. Sometimes at amateur provincial or national finals as well.

Christ my pre match routine would look massively rubbish compared to this.

Turn up 45 minutes before kick off.
Introduce myself to the managers.
Wander about for a bit.
Half hearted warm up.
Hopefully get the players out and ready to start on time.

I'm thinking I should fine tune this a bit! ;)

turn up
apoligise for the stench of stale lager on my breath
quickly finish the rest of my kebab/mcdonalds from the previous night
forget to take down any details
set the watch for 30 minutes - sod playing 45 in the sorry mess im in...
get the game over as quick as possible

Wow Ryan, this makes mine look pretty terrible in comparison!

Arrive 25/30 minutes before KO;
Introduce myself to the home manager (away team usually arrive after I do);
Pitch check (move rubbish/check nets and corner flags/inform home manager about the inevitable pile of :poop: in the middle of the goal mouth :hmmm:);
Introduce myself to the away manager who tells me half of his team haven't arrived yet;
5/10 minute warm up (a couple of sprints and lots of stretching);
Hope the rest of the away team have arrived and bring the teams in for the fair play handshake;
Quick chat with the captains (coin toss);
Kick off.

:)

Shows who the professionals are....

The more professional you are pre-match, the more professional you will be during the match. This is very important when at higher levels and you are dealing with the clubs and your AR for the first time. Take the lead, act as you woudl want them to act if they were your referee.

I believe we should all agree on what the pre match talk and to whom should be, then ALL stick very close to it. We undermine each others credibility through inconsistency even before we kick off. The talk will probably vary dependent on the level of football but we should all agree on the basics at least.

FOP inspection
Talk to teams
Jewellery and Boot inspection
Talk to AR's

I believe we should all agree on what the pre match talk and to whom should be, then ALL stick very close to it. We undermine each others credibility through inconsistency even before we kick off. The talk will probably vary dependent on the level of football but we should all agree on the basics at least.

FOP inspection
Talk to teams
Jewellery and Boot inspection
Talk to AR's

each to his or her own tho, for the purposes of your exercise, Anthony, you might want to add warm up routine and ball check (for match purposes not medical reasons at this stage of your preparation) to your list

Pre match talk?

I have never been a believer in speaking to teams before a match.......by and large they don't listen, if by chance they do, its forgotten in the first 5 minutes. Brief chat to the skippers at the coin toss, brief your CAR's in front of the skippers so they know what you have asked the CAR's to do.

I never speak to the players before matches at any age level. I say to the manager i trust they have them briefed on how they should behave. Of course they don't, but a chubby little ref like myself won't have any words of wisdom to turn a Sunday league Roy Keane into a ***** cat.

I definitely do not want this to sound like a one man crusade but we either all should do it or we don't do it which would at least make us consistent. My pre match is really brief and is not there to teach them the LOTG but a reminder about not swearing too much and definitely not at me or the CAR's, I will ask the CAR's for a late flag on offsides (to stop them having a go at the AR) and play to the whistle, have a good game. This short speech is delivered in a friendly way and does not take more than 60 seconds. I often find managers thanking me for reminding players about swearing as they play near houses or next to children's play areas. The words I say rarely come back to haunt me during the match.

I did not include ball checking and warm up as that was not the routine I was asking for us to be consistent on but with hindsight ball checking is something that should be done but I hope we all at least do that.

I speak to the players UPTO
U16. Simple request to them DONT ARGUE with my decision or it could be a very easy YC that you could avoid if you don't argue.
I will give you one chance with a foul. Next time don't be surprised for a YC.
there's the standard set and I stick to it. With a few players on warnings - everyone winds their neck in.
#happydays

I definitely do not want this to sound like a one man crusade but we either all should do it or we don't do it which would at least make us consistent. My pre match is really brief and is not there to teach them the LOTG but a reminder about not swearing too much and definitely not at me or the CAR's, I will ask the CAR's for a late flag on offsides (to stop them having a go at the AR) and play to the whistle, have a good game. This short speech is delivered in a friendly way and does not take more than 60 seconds. I often find managers thanking me for reminding players about swearing as they play near houses or next to children's play areas. The words I say rarely come back to haunt me during the match.

I did not include ball checking and warm up as that was not the routine I was asking for us to be consistent on but with hindsight ball checking is something that should be done but I hope we all at least do that.

You are obviously a vastly more experienced referee than I. But I don't believe it's our place to remind the players about swearing or playing to the whistle.

Swearing the manager and coaches they have should be stamping that out. Then if they are not then the team faces the consequences of that and receives cards as needed in my opinion.

The same with playing to the whistle, this is another thing managers should be doing. I see my job as a ref to enforce the lotg and not go over these basics. Obviously at younger levels I'm not as strict, but that goes without saying. I'm not blowing for foul throws all day long for u7's or anything stupid.

Pre match talk?

I have never been a believer in speaking to teams before a match.......by and large they don't listen, if by chance they do, its forgotten in the first 5 minutes. Brief chat to the skippers at the coin toss, brief your CAR's in front of the skippers so they know what you have asked the CAR's to do.

This is not for the two teams, it is for my team.

You are obviously a vastly more experienced referee than I. But I don't believe it's our place to remind the players about swearing or playing to the whistle.

Swearing the manager and coaches they have should be stamping that out. Then if they are not then the team faces the consequences of that and receives cards as needed in my opinion.

The same with playing to the whistle, this is another thing managers should be doing. I see my job as a ref to enforce the lotg and not go over these basics. Obviously at younger levels I'm not as strict, but that goes without saying. I'm not blowing for foul throws all day long for u7's or anything stupid.

I try and be proactive and stop something happening hence my approach. One minute at the start is like an investment of my time that can save me many minutes and distractions during a match.

Back