A&H

Pre-Match Discussion

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
We've all been part of that awful pre-match that referees give (I've given it too!) where the centre man explains to his amply qualified ARs exactly how to do their jobs. "When the ball goes out of play, signal a throw in by raising your arm blah blah blah" Frankly, I know how to do my job as an AR so I don't need it from the centre man. What I do want, however, is to engage him in a discussion about the match to come. What do we expect from these two teams? What kinds of things are we going to have to look for because of pitch condition? Is there anything in particular that this referee wants to come down on particularly quickly? Has anyone seen these teams before -- if so, what are their tactics, any top notch players, what about troublemakers?

What are some of the things you look for in a pre-match chat from your man in the middle when you're running the line and what do you tell your NARs when you're the referee?

Cheers.

The Referee Store
I have been on the line for a few senior referees in pre-season, I much prefer it when the pre-match instructions are brief and straight to the point. Too much information before the game can make you more nervous as you are trying to remember what the referee has said instead of focusing on your duties as assistant referee. Basically keep it brief, try to relax your Assitant and ask if they have any questions before you go out into the field of play. That's what I have found to be the most productive pre match discussion as a assistant.

I like a pre-game discussion more than a pre-game lecture. If you've got the benefit of working with a top team (all of whom have excellent abilities and experience) then it looks a lot more like a roundtable wherein everyone discusses the two teams, the expected tactics, probably troublemakers etc usually over dinner and drinks a few nights before or for breakfast ahead of the match.

Thats sounds like a good idea doing the pre match in a relaxed environment whilst also building the sense of teamwork is bound to make you and your officials work better as a team when it comes to the match.

I always try to do mine out on the pitch as a discussion rather than a lecture in the changing room on the rare times I get to do one. That way you can Talk about better plus I find breaking the ice so to speak with players and coaches can help things rather hiding away in your room like some I've been with like to.

I've never found that I've had to choose between doing the pre-game in the dressing room and breaking the ice with coaches and players. When I've had a dressing room (a rare luxury around here usually reserved for university matches), this is my pregame routine for a match kicking off at 5:00 PM for example:

4:00 -- The Team arrives together, smartly dressed. We drop our kit bags in our dressing room and inspect the field to allow the grounds crew time to fix any problems.
4:15 -- We return to the dressing room where I give my pre-game and we change into our shirts, socks, boots and a warm up shirt (hopefully all the same shirt). I also use this time to have a pre-match conference with the team assuming we haven't already done so at a late-afternoon lunch that we all have together.
4:25 -- We go as a team either to the field or to the dressing rooms (wherever the players are) and I take that chance to introduce myself and my team to the coach and any players who may be present. I ask them to see their player and GK kits and then I go to the other team. I ensure that there are no problems and I select the colour we will wear as a team.
4:30 -- We go to the field if not already there and we do a thorough 20 minute warm up.
4:50 -- We return to the dressing room, put on our shirts, get our equipment together and take this opportunity to pump each other up and iron out any kinks.
4:55 -- We arrive at the field of play, do the coin toss and begin the match.

If we have a fourth official, he remains with us until the warm up at which point, he deals with the match balls, talks to any ball boys/girls about appropriate behaviour, and he begins all the extensive match forms. Of course, this is generally flexible and changes based on the needs on the day (e.g.: a pre-game ceremony of some kind etc).

When I have assistants running the line for me in a game, I find it useful to send them a document of a pre-match, mid-match, and pro-match timetable a week or two beforehand if possible. That way we all know what we're doing at the right time and we can quite literally manage the match the way we want to. ;)

I also find it useful to send my assistants an extended copy of my pre-match meeting document a week or two beforehand if possible. This way they will know what I expect of them throughout the match and have time to prepare and, also, it means I can keep it brief on the day and only remind them of the key aspects of their jobs throughout the game which makes them more relaxed and more likely to give decisions that they wouldn't if they were too nervous pre-match :D.

That's helpful in matches where the quality, speed and experience of the players merits it -- to say nothing of the quality and experience of your assistants -- but it can also be terrifically confounding to inexperienced or poor quality ARs and it can be somewhat off-putting to decent and experienced ARs when you're refereeing a match that is of a particularly low level in terms of speed and quality.

I think it depends on the refs control style, for example, I'm usually somebody who likes to be in complete control of the match, sometimes by wielding an iron fist with zero-tolerance card issuing, but that's just how I ref in games with assistants, otherwise, I'm usually more calm and like to keep the ball rolling ;)

I think it depends on the refs control style, for example, I'm usually somebody who likes to be in complete control of the match, sometimes by wielding an iron fist with zero-tolerance card issuing, but that's just how I ref in games with assistants, otherwise, I'm usually more calm and like to keep the ball rolling ;)

.... Oops, thought this was the other thread.

I have to agree Ryan, as long as your a relativley experienced assistant then i think a discussion on the teams and what kind of game we can expect is far more productive than a do this dont do that kind of lecture. I have to say the worst and most confusing i have had is this - "Right lads what i want from you is in's and out's and offisdes everything else is mine. I will do corners becasue i WILL be always up with play and i dont expect you to come with a decision full stop, the only time i want you to giv e a foul is if it right under your nose"

Well i can tell you i felt like replying with, "Do you really need us at all mate?"

This also completely shot any credability with the teams as they are looking at us for deicisons and shouting come on liner you must have seen that when if we are following instructions then we are not to flag for anything!!

I prefer to give it / receive it brief:

When to flag (not how)
Anything to watch out for
Anything I do different to most other referees
What the order of the day is

OBviously its in more detail and will vary depending on the experience of the officials.

I prefer to give it / receive it brief:

When to flag (not how)
Anything to watch out for
Anything I do different to most other referees
What the order of the day is
On the rare occasion I have NARs I am the same....keep it brief and not teaching granny to suck eggs.
I also stress the importance of mirroring - please mirror your colleague if there's a chance I haven't seen him.

I have to agree Ryan, as long as your a relativley experienced assistant then i think a discussion on the teams and what kind of game we can expect is far more productive than a do this dont do that kind of lecture. I have to say the worst and most confusing i have had is this - "Right lads what i want from you is in's and out's and offisdes everything else is mine. I will do corners becasue i WILL be always up with play and i dont expect you to come with a decision full stop, the only time i want you to giv e a foul is if it right under your nose"

Well i can tell you i felt like replying with, "Do you really need us at all mate?"

This also completely shot any credability with the teams as they are looking at us for deicisons and shouting come on liner you must have seen that when if we are following instructions then we are not to flag for anything!!

I usually tell them that my pregame instruction was not to make any foul decisions during the match. That will learn the man in the middle.

When I have assistants running the line for me in a game, I find it useful to send them a document of a pre-match, mid-match, and pro-match timetable a week or two beforehand if possible. That way we all know what we're doing at the right time and we can quite literally manage the match the way we want to. ;)

I also find it useful to send my assistants an extended copy of my pre-match meeting document a week or two beforehand if possible. This way they will know what I expect of them throughout the match and have time to prepare and, also, it means I can keep it brief on the day and only remind them of the key aspects of their jobs throughout the game which makes them more relaxed and more likely to give decisions that they wouldn't if they were too nervous pre-match :D.
With the greatest of respect, if you sent that to me, I'd either tell you where to go or there'd be an email on the ref sec's desk informing him I'd miraculously picked up an injury!

What level do you referee?

With the greatest of respect, if you sent that to me, I'd either tell you where to go or there'd be an email on the ref sec's desk informing him I'd miraculously picked up an injury!

Fair enough, but I've taken all of this onboard from other referees, but it went well anyway so I have no complaints.

Level 7, I am inexperienced but I'm still learning the trade so I think patience is the best bet for me ;)

karl, I think your approach to pre-match is overkill. I agree with Dan Cohen, this would be deleted and I would be talking to the appointments officer looking for a change if I received this.

On the rare occasion I have NARs I am the same....keep it brief and not teaching granny to suck eggs.
I also stress the importance of mirroring - please mirror your colleague if there's a chance I haven't seen him.

It has always amazed me why so few (if any) referees have told me to 'mirror', as it makes so much sense! Especially as far as subs go.

Back