A&H

Potential 3 Card Trick Missed

Dan1882

This was the 10th minute of the game. A couple of fouls beforehand but nothing close to a caution for me. Player recklessly challenges for the ball, caution all day long. I blow up and make my towards the player and he lamps the ball away towards the opposition goal. It goes straight to a defender who plays it back to the middle where the kick is to be taken from.

I give the yellow for the ft. And a major dressing down for the dissent by action.

I feel like I should have done him for the lot there and then. Although I had no trouble the rest of the game and this was the only caution.

The Referee Store
Playing devil’s advocate, let’s say a player later in the game kicks the ball away in dissent, and you book him for it. “But you didn’t book him earlier for the same thing ref!” How are you going to sell that one?

Playing devil’s advocate, let’s say a player later in the game kicks the ball away in dissent, and you book him for it. “But you didn’t book him earlier for the same thing ref!” How are you going to sell that one?

In truth that's a moot point because there's not really any way that player would know for sure what his team-mate's caution was for. My reply to him in this case would be - "yes I did", you saw me issue the yellow. ;)

Haha, this sounds like something an assessor will point out and say you're damned if you do or don't, but just want to enjoy your answer. ;)

This was the 10th minute of the game. A couple of fouls beforehand but nothing close to a caution for me. Player recklessly challenges for the ball, caution all day long. I blow up and make my towards the player and he lamps the ball away towards the opposition goal. It goes straight to a defender who plays it back to the middle where the kick is to be taken from.

I give the yellow for the ft. And a major dressing down for the dissent by action.

I feel like I should have done him for the lot there and then. Although I had no trouble the rest of the game and this was the only caution.
Just depends on the overall vibe in the game
There might be occasions on which you could let the dissent slide; on the basis that the foul and strop were one in the same thing
There might be other occasions when you must dismiss the player
It's not an exact science
Based on the outcome, option 1 was justified

Again as most things you would need to be there but yes it might be wise to turn blind eye to one such similar kind of action by the other team.
You also have the reasoning of "the tempo of the game has changed and I need to change with it"
Also simple one line things like "we have all moved on since then, this is now"
That players team will also have committed fouls that you have no cautioned for
Suppose it depends what kinda mentality you are dealing with.

Last edited:
This is a good point.

For the sake of consistency if another player boots the ball away what are you left with? It's a difficult one.

Wouldn't you yellow card him for the foul and then Sin Bin for the dissent?

I'm waiting to see/hear the first legal four card trick.

Call a reckless foul. Player dissents. Yellow and sin bin for dissent. Player has a go at you on his way to the bin. Third yellow followed by the forth card being red.

Ref "in June 1914 Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, an act that many believe led to the first world war"
player "huh"
Ref "sorry, i thought we were talking about history"

true story!

I'm waiting to see/hear the first legal four card trick.

Call a reckless foul. Player dissents. Yellow and sin bin for dissent. Player has a go at you on his way to the bin. Third yellow followed by the forth card being red.

Would it not actually be a second yellow for dissent following a sinbinning which simply means that he can't come back on (but can be replaced) rather than a red?

Would it not actually be a second yellow for dissent following a sinbinning which simply means that he can't come back on (but can be replaced) rather than a red?
Not really. Cards go as:
  1. First yellow for reckless tackle. DFK
  2. He dissents for calling it a foul. Now a second yellow for dissent and send him to sin bin.
  3. On the way to the bin he turns around an claps in your face. This is the third yellow (either with sin bin and no replacement, or just a standard yellow dissent depending on instructions).
  4. No matter which way you do 3 he is now off for good and not being replaced so 3 is followed by a red.

Not really. Cards go as:
  1. First yellow for reckless tackle. DFK
  2. He dissents for calling it a foul. Now a second yellow for dissent and send him to sin bin.
  3. On the way to the bin he turns around an claps in your face. This is the third yellow (either with sin bin and no replacement, or just a standard yellow dissent depending on instructions).
  4. No matter which way you do 3 he is now off for good and not being replaced so 3 is followed by a red.

But based on the guidance given in this thread https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/sin-bin-question-again.12999/#post-140433 (unless I'm reading it wrong?) a second yellow for dissent results in him being sin binned again but not able to return (but he can be replaced). A red card doesn't mean that. It's a red for having two yellows which is off and can't be replaced?

That is only if he has not received a "non-temporary dismissal" caution before also. If he has, he of off (or sin binned) but cant be replaced. See the underlined section.

1547653383309.png

Reactions: Kes
That is only if he has not received a "non-temporary dismissal" caution before also. If he has, he of off (or sin binned) but cant be replaced. See the underlined section.

View attachment 2903

Seen.

Looks like I was reading the guidance given in the bottom of the flow chart wrong .... ;)

Kicking the ball away can be dissent and/or delaying the restart. If it’s both which one we we plump for? Is dissent considered to be the more serious offence?

Does that change if a player is already on a yellow card or has already received a dissent caution.

Back