A&H

Post-COVID struggles

RyantheRef

Level 3 Referee
So I had the dreaded COVID in late December/early January and ever since, I've found that my cardiovascular endurance has become practically non-existent. I've had myself checked out and had an ECG done, and they all came back just fine; they also tested my blood for any signs of swelling in the heart or lung muscles, and that came back negative as well. So, now I know that I don't have myocarditis, but I'm not exactly sure what's going on. Granted, I am coming off of the off-season and into more regular training, and I didn't train a significant amount over the winter time, but then I never do.

Does anyone have any advice for how to begin building back my fitness after COVID, especially given the challenge that I'm at my worst ever cardiovascular fitness? I figure I'll need to start pretty slow and build from there, but I don't have the foggiest of what that looks like, since I've always been in decent shape to begin pre-season training.

The Referee Store
Difficult to answer as everyone is different, but the generally accepted advice is build up slowly. Trying to go from zero to hero overnight rarely ends well. Use your heart rate as a marker and keep to around 70% of max whilst you get back on your feet.

I got Covid last month for the 3rd, or possibly even the 4th time (no tests available the first time back in March 2020). Previous occasions I barely had any symptoms and felt fine, this time it has really knocked me for six and even three weeks on I am struggling. Can't shake off the cough, and go through long spells of physically feeling sick, to the extent of having to leave a bucket by the bed when I go to sleep. And definitely suffering from a lack of energy and feeling lethargic.

It hits everyone different, but I've heard a lot of referees have been wiped out from it.

I was perhaps, a bit sensible. When I caught COVID, I asked to be assigned solely on reserve league and ladies games for two/three weeks just to build my fitness back up.

I haven't felt as good as 'normal' until recently, so four months?

Just train as much as is safe to do so, it is all you can really do.

Difficult to answer as everyone is different, but the generally accepted advice is build up slowly. Trying to go from zero to hero overnight rarely ends well. Use your heart rate as a marker and keep to around 70% of max whilst you get back on your feet.

I got Covid last month for the 3rd, or possibly even the 4th time (no tests available the first time back in March 2020). Previous occasions I barely had any symptoms and felt fine, this time it has really knocked me for six and even three weeks on I am struggling. Can't shake off the cough, and go through long spells of physically feeling sick, to the extent of having to leave a bucket by the bed when I go to sleep. And definitely suffering from a lack of energy and feeling lethargic.

Ugh, I completely understand. I'm not sure if I've had COVID multiple times since January, or if it has just weakened my immune system to the point where I've caught every other virus that is floating around since then but I've been sick at least once a month since. April has been the first month where I've not been on my a** for any period of time and I'm hoping that's a sign that I can start training again. I'll take your advice and keep it to 70% max hrt, but I'm worried that's going to be a lot of walking at this rate.
It hits everyone different, but I've heard a lot of referees have been wiped out from it.

I was perhaps, a bit sensible. When I caught COVID, I asked to be assigned solely on reserve league and ladies games for two/three weeks just to build my fitness back up.

I haven't felt as good as 'normal' until recently, so four months?

Just train as much as is safe to do so, it is all you can really do.

See, I wasn't so sensible. I went from COVID to playing again for the first time in a decade in an indoor league. Lesson learned. I'm still not feeling 100% but I'd like to get back into the swing of things.

Back