A&H

Position of IDFK for offside offences

newref

An attacker in an offside position makes a run for the ball. The flag is eventually raised. From where must the indirect free kick be taken? Is it where he first touches the ball? Also where should the IDFK be taken if the attacker does not touch the ball (but still was penalised for offside because he was interfering)

The Referee Store
Form where he commited the offence. (Exceptions when it's in goal area or outside of field of play).

There are a numbered of ways to commit an offside offence. For simplicity, two ways, when interfering with ay ( touching the ball), or when interfering with an opponent. So wherever those happen.

Sometimes the flag is raised (or if no AR you just call it) before the actual offence because he is the only player chasing. It's not clear where to take the FK in this case but I would say from where the player was when the call was made.

Last edited:
Form where he commited the offence. (Exceptions when it's in goal area or outside of field of play).

There are a numbered of ways to commit an offside offence. For simplicity, two ways, when interfering with ay ( touching the ball), or when interfering with an opponent. So wherever those happen.

Sometimes the flag is raised (or if no AR you just call it) before the actually offence because he is the only Ayer chasing. It's not clear where to take the FK in this case but I would say from where the player was.
Ah interesting. I was actually going to ask this exact question after I had a.. I guess I can call it a query, with the captain of a team when I told him to take the ball back on an IDFK from an offside a couple weeks back.

6BFDA452-0F8F-4A3D-8CA7-5EAD0F4819F3.jpeg
I don’t know if my markings make sense. But, the red on the sideline is the position of the CAR who flagged offside, who was quite old and had told me his knee was beginning to play up afterwards.

the offside offence occurred (from what I could see, where the yellow mark is, but the captain was trying to take the free kick from in line with the linesman, when I began to tell him “no, back where the offence occurred thanks” and then he began to argue, “it’s where the linesman is.” After a bit of a back and forth, he told me that I should go home and read the rules, had a bit of a baby tantrum, and decided to take the free kick from the pink mark in the penalty area.

I had my phone in my bag, and at half time, decided to “go home and read the rules” and came to the same conclusion you did one. So, I told him when the teams came back to the field that’s how I was enforcing it, because the free kick is taken “where the offence occurs”, and warned him that even though he is the captain, I won’t be taking too kindly to questioning my procedures like that again and that I won’t hesitate to sin bin for dissent if it happens again.
He ended up saying, “No you’re still wrong, but I’ll accept that’s how you’re doing it for this game.” And to his credit, I didn’t really have any problems at all with them in the second half (although a previous post outlines some red cards I dished out at the end of this game).

In hindsight.. I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that the player and I were both right: It is where the offence occurs, but the linesman really should be trying their best to mark in line with the offence, but at the end of the day, the referee in the middle of the field has overarching say on where that ultimately is. If I do end up officiating that team again, I will tell the captain as such, because in the instance outline above, to me it was quite obvious the CAR wasn’t marking in line with the offence, but rather where the second last defender was when the ball was kicked.

Reactions: one
Ah interesting. I was actually going to ask this exact question after I had a.. I guess I can call it a query, with the captain of a team when I told him to take the ball back on an IDFK from an offside a couple weeks back.

View attachment 5037
I don’t know if my markings make sense. But, the red on the sideline is the position of the CAR who flagged offside, who was quite old and had told me his knee was beginning to play up afterwards.

the offside offence occurred (from what I could see, where the yellow mark is, but the captain was trying to take the free kick from in line with the linesman, when I began to tell him “no, back where the offence occurred thanks” and then he began to argue, “it’s where the linesman is.” After a bit of a back and forth, he told me that I should go home and read the rules, had a bit of a baby tantrum, and decided to take the free kick from the pink mark in the penalty area.

I had my phone in my bag, and at half time, decided to “go home and read the rules” and came to the same conclusion you did one. So, I told him when the teams came back to the field that’s how I was enforcing it, because the free kick is taken “where the offence occurs”, and warned him that even though he is the captain, I won’t be taking too kindly to questioning my procedures like that again and that I won’t hesitate to sin bin for dissent if it happens again.
He ended up saying, “No you’re still wrong, but I’ll accept that’s how you’re doing it for this game.” And to his credit, I didn’t really have any problems at all with them in the second half (although a previous post outlines some red cards I dished out at the end of this game).

In hindsight.. I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that the player and I were both right: It is where the offence occurs, but the linesman really should be trying their best to mark in line with the offence, but at the end of the day, the referee in the middle of the field has overarching say on where that ultimately is. If I do end up officiating that team again, I will tell the captain as such, because in the instance outline above, to me it was quite obvious the CAR wasn’t marking in line with the offence, but rather where the second last defender was when the ball was kicked.

Another clarification that is needed is on this scenario - if a player makes a run towards the ball but then he realises he is offside and suddenly stops and lets the defender play the ball without interfering with them. Now as soon as the defender takes a touch, the attacking player is no longer offside and hence he can challenge the defender to win it back. So the attacker decides to then win it back which he does and scores. What would your opinion be on this?

Another clarification that is needed is on this scenario - if a player makes a run towards the ball but then he realises he is offside and suddenly stops and lets the defender play the ball without interfering with them. Now as soon as the defender takes a touch, the attacking player is no longer offside and hence he can challenge the defender to win it back. So the attacker decides to then win it back which he does and scores. What would your opinion be on this?
Depends on how close to the ball he got I think to be honest.
But, in most instances, I wouldn’t be hesitant in calling the goal

This has been clarified to immediately challenging. As you describe this is still an offside offence.
Think the man City goal vs villa where Mings was Robbed of the ball, the goal was allowed but a clarification followed to sya this should be offside

One note for newer refs: it used to be that the FK for offside was taken at the location of the OSP player when the ball was played or touched by a teammate. (That was more consistent with older interpretations of OS that more broadly interpreted involvement.) Although the change is not several years old, there are still some coaches who haven't caught up--and frankly too many refs are oblivious to where the kick is taken, so many of the OS FKs are taken from the old location rather than the new (proper) location.

One note for newer refs: it used to be that the FK for offside was taken at the location of the OSP player when the ball was played or touched by a teammate. (That was more consistent with older interpretations of OS that more broadly interpreted involvement.) Although the change is not several years old, there are still some coaches who haven't caught up--and frankly too many refs are oblivious to where the kick is taken, so many of the OS FKs are taken from the old location rather than the new (proper) location.
Yes, and also the uproar when you allow a FK to be taken in the oppo half with the new(er) law 🤣🤣🤣

Back