A&H

Junior/Youth Playing advantage then booking

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
In my U12 match this morning there was a reckless tackle bordering excessive force, the fouled players team mate got the ball so I played an advantage which resulted in them scoring, I went back to caution player after the goal, he didn't argue neither did the other players. 1 Q
With it bordering excessive should I have stopped play then and given a RC for SFP or is the yellow probably enough?

The Referee Store
although i wouldnt advise it you can go back and send a player off however if there is a chance of a goal i would always play advantage, usually caution a player rather then send them off unless necessary

NEVER go back and send off after an advantage! If it's a red card offence, immediately stop play, give foul and dismiss.

If, in your opinion, it wasn't a sending-off, but was a caution able offence, then playing advantage and going back to caution was the right thing to do.

exactly what i was getting at but i put this to the ra i attend and was told in scenario's where there is enough to send a player off but there is definitely going to be a goal scored then a player can be sent off however i would A not recommend it and B never ever use it

There is never an excuse for advantage and red, EVER.

Can't be for DOGSO as a goal's been scored and if it's SFP/VC, it's serious enough to stop there and then, regardless.

If you play advantage and then dismiss under assessment, you'll be hammered. If I do that at my level, I'll have a LOT of answering to do!

Don't do it, ever.

see i said all this to them and they said i was totally wrong, thanks Dan at least someone has their head screwed on :)

So, accept what they say and then ignore the hell out of it!

If someone questions you, say you believe it aided match control!

I'm with Dan. Never, ever play advantage and go back to dismiss! You're asking for a world of trouble if you do that. If anyone says otherwise, them I'd just ignore them

Same as Dan and Ross, never do it.

However, as we are talking about an U12 match here, I personaly wouldn't play advantage on a caution. Stop straight away and caution. From my experience of U12 you have a card about 1 in every 10 matches if that, so it has much greater effect if you stop play straight away, at that age as well, it tend to be the coaches that get annoyed and react, not the players. To be honest, unless you are doing a top academy match, I doubt you would get a 12 yeard old complaining that you stopped and advantage.

Anybody else take this approach?

yes as I would agree with dan and ross im doing youth football and if I was going red card anyone I would never play advantage

NEVER go back and send off after an advantage! If it's a red card offence, immediately stop play, give foul and dismiss.

If, in your opinion, it wasn't a sending-off, but was a caution able offence, then playing advantage and going back to caution was the right thing to do.

I disagree only insofar as I would allow advantage if there was an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Otherwise, I would blow up immediately and send the player off for SFP. I should stress that the goal scoring opportunity must be very very obvious for me to play advantage on SFP but if it is there, it should be given. That said, you only cautioned the lad so you clearly thought it was USB for a reckless challenge. Without having seen it, I can only imagine you were right about that and got it.

Back