A&H

Players Kit Check

Chris104

Level 6 Referee
Afternoon all
after seeing a discussion earlier today and having a chat with someone else on the forum thought id throw this question out. if and when you do kit inspections of teams do you ever pull anyone up on presentation/incorrect kit for example sock tape looking scruffy or not the same colour as the socks? not having the correct shorts to everyone else? etc

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Going to use some of the answers for a debate piece I'm writing so please everyone get involved :)

Scruffy - no.

Correct colour tape and undergarments - yes, every time.

Different shorts, as long as they are the same colour in general then it is not a problem, but to be honest I referee mostly at Step 6/7 and proper kit is not normally a problem.

Jewellery, zero tolerance every game.

Sock tape, at Step 8 and above, anything wrong comes off or is changed. Below that I will at minimum always point it out and attempt to get it changed. But I'd rather wrong colour sock tape than socks falling down and exposing shinguards!

Undershorts / tops, zero tolerance in OA, more flexible in youth, especially if it's genuinely cold!

As a curve ball, now I'm increasingly working in teams of three, I'm seeing a load of officials wearing jewellery. Often wedding rings but also other stuff .. I'd be interested to know who on here would take issue with that .....

As a curve ball, now I'm increasingly working in teams of three, I'm seeing a load of officials wearing jewellery. Often wedding rings but also other stuff .. I'd be interested to know who on here would take issue with that .....
No problem with wedding rings. Referees aren't jostling with 11 opponents for a ball.
An earring/festival wristband would look very unprofessional though. And don't even start me on those gash wristbands for every cause under the sun

Referees should take wedding rings off. If it's good enough for the players.....

Sock tape incorrect colour? Aside from it being on the list of the stupidest changes FIFA ever made to the laws, it's applied at every level. Incorrect shorts? Couldn't care less.

Page 70, LotG 2015/2016: "Referees are also prohibited from wearing jewellery (except for a watch or similar device for timing the match)".

I have been known, on occasion, to catch a player in the face with my left-hand indicating either the direction of a throw, corner, or a DFK. If I had my wedding ring on whilst refereeing...

Ha thanks for you responses guys. I'm an eastern referee and I'm terrible with things like this. One of my et hates is scruffy players. I see it as if I can't turn up scruffy neither should they. Some great points above though. Keep them coming!

I have been known, on occasion, to catch a player in the face with my left-hand indicating either the direction of a throw, corner, or a DFK. If I had my wedding ring on whilst refereeing...

You're a mean referee!!

Lol - hey, he is the one who occasionally indicates directions for restarts by catching players around the face! :p

Is it only me...? Has no-one else ever done this? Left arm flung out quickly (demonstrating decisiveness...?!), not realising a player was just behind you to the side? Must fix those eyes in the back of my head that people believe I should have... ;)

Reactions: SM
Glad I am not the only! Can't remember the match situation, but in the process of raising my arm to signal for something whacked an u12s player in the face as he went run past me from behind. Neither the player or his manager were to impressed about it. :confused:

The curse of humans not being fitted with rear view mirrors! :)

Hey I also did that last Sunday at women's game. Player arguing for a throw and I put my arm out and a player was running past....

Is it only me...? Has no-one else ever done this? Left arm flung out quickly (demonstrating decisiveness...?!), not realising a player was just behind you to the side? Must fix those eyes in the back of my head that people believe I should have... ;)
I always take both my rings off, but they can't be more likely to cause injury than the two watches and a whistle at the end of lanyard!

Incorrect Kit is a £10 fine per player per item in our league

As mentioned above Sock tape .....in most games it doesn't happen but if a team has the wrong colour I will bring it up and tell them to get it sorted by next week .

Best of 2 evils as I wont have socks hanging under shin pads for a second .

Most Stupid Law ever introduced to grass roots football

Faded White/pink top mix of shorts socks with tears all over them ...but you cant play mate sorry that's white tape on your now pink socks

Ridiculous .....

Incorrect Kit is a £10 fine per player per item in our league

As mentioned above Sock tape .....in most games it doesn't happen but if a team has the wrong colour I will bring it up and tell them to get it sorted by next week .

Best of 2 evils as I wont have socks hanging under shin pads for a second .

Most Stupid Law ever introduced to grass roots football

Faded White/pink top mix of shorts socks with tears all over them ...but you cant play mate sorry that's white tape on your now pink socks

Ridiculous .....
Yep agree - all that different coloured was confusing ARs apparently!:rolleyes:

Back