• No action

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
saw this on facebook

Player shouts to put off another player, easy decision, yellow card

If however that player is clean through on goal when he is distracted by a shout and sky's his shot, what's your decision?

The Referee Store
Caution + idfk. Dogso can only be by handball or other offence punishable by a direct free kick or penalty.

Reactions: SM
Caution + idfk. Dogso can only be by handball or other offence punishable by a direct free kick or penalty.

I disagree
Page 87 of LOTG doesn't specifically say only direct free-kick (or penalty):

" ... denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents' goal by an offence punishable by a free kick .."

Happy for someone to tell / show me different - but - I'm red card and IDFK from where the defending player was when they shouted

A little lower on that page, second paragraph under Denying a goal scoring opportunity. For some reason copy isn't working.

Anyway, it talks about the referee awarding a penalty kick. For me that implies that it has to be a dfk/penalty worthy offence.

Yes thats always been my interpretation.
A little lower on that page, second paragraph under Denying a goal scoring opportunity. For some reason copy isn't working.

Anyway, it talks about the referee awarding a penalty kick. For me that implies that it has to be a dfk/penalty worthy offence.
But I am of course happy to stand corrected.

A question - does verbal distraction deny the obvious goal scoring opportunity? The OP states that the attacker was able to shoot - so has he in fact been denied the opportunity?

I think you may have the wrong nterpretation.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own
penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless

i believe this is only in relation to not sending a player off for a DOGSO penalty

Law 12 clearly states that a player who verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart must be cautioned.

Therefore he cannot be dismissed whatever the outcome of his action. Also, as the offence is specifically mentioned within Law 12 it does not fall into the category of "any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player". As such, the restart cannot be an indirect free kick.

Law 12 clearly states that a player who verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart must be cautioned.

Therefore he cannot be dismissed whatever the outcome of his action. Also, as the offence is specifically mentioned within Law 12 it does not fall into the category of "any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player". As such, the restart cannot be an indirect free kick.

Thank you Sir Brian

I am probably being thick here Brian. I am genuinely am not following you.

Is verbally distracting an opponent not punishable by an IDFK? if it is surely it's a DOGSO.

unless the argument is that the IDFK is because the game has been stopped to caution the player.

Is verbally distracting an opponent not punishable by an IDFK? if it is surely it's a DOGSO.
unless the argument is that the IDFK is because the game has been stopped to caution the player.
Law 12 sets out a list of offences for which a player MUST be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. The last one on the list is
'verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart'. (Page 86)

This coupled with the text regarding the circumstances in which you would restart with an indirect free kick.
'commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player' (Page 82) the offence IS mentioned elsewhere in the Laws, therefore you can't restart with an IDFK. Also the ball is already out of play, so you can't be stopping play.

Offences such as Playing the ball after being given permission to leave the FOP are also mentioned elsewhere in law 12. How are you going to restart play?

That precisely. Verbally distracting an opponent is not punishable by an IFK. It's a caution. The restart after you stop play for the caution happens to be an IFK - you can't then reverse that reasoning to say 'now there's a FK it can be a red'

Give a penalty for this offence; goodbye match control. Goodbye promotion. Goodbye respect.

Now for the serious part... and leading on from what Brian has said...

Stop play, caution and then abandon. The laws don't state the correct restart. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What would I do In this situation.. caution at the stoppage and restart appropriately. Don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself when you can sell this decision.

I have always viewed it as a version of the old obstruction/impeding laws thus would go idfk. I do think it needs clarifying though

Back