A&H

The Referee Store
No, you haven’t seen it, it could be hearsay, RC what you see and nothing else! Tough luck on the retaliatory player!

Was it a sanctioned match?

Wouldn't mention in your report that you allowed another player to take the place of the dismissed player........

Today I reffed a friendly match between two division six teams(White vs black). Everyone seemed to know each other and it seemed like it would be a calm match, but of course in the 43. minute I had to send off a player from the team in white for VC.

Nr. 9 white and Nr. 19 black is in a 50/50 challenge in the center field. Both end up on the ground without a foul occurring. The ball was shot forward to the white`s goal area, and I followed play, but as I was sprinting towards the goal area, I hear a lot of screaming behind me. I turn around and see Nr. 9 swing a punch at Nr. 19. I stop play and run over too them and calmed them down with a couple of blasts with the whistle. I get Nr. 9 over and red carded him. Now apparently what happened was that Nr. 19 kicked him first. The team in white is obviously pissed because of this and since it was a friendly we agreed to let another player play instead, but could I have penalized Nr. 19? Because it was obvious that he kicked him, but I didn`t see it, so I didn`t penalize it. Fyi there were no ARs.

You only judge what you saw or if you have independent ARs by the facts they've provided you. While deep down you know that he kicked or instigated this scuffle you can never be sure and your report afterwards will say the same as you haven't witnessed it!

Now you can be clever and a bit cheeky by giving him a caution for AA, but that's all what I would have done myself if i were in your shoes.

I think the lesson is here is to remind the coaches/captains before the game that full LotG apply.

You've ended up in a double knot here. You didn't apply the LotG here in allowing a sub, so you could have instead asked for both players to be subbed instead of showing cards.

But... Really... Cherry picking the laws like this will lead to a world of pain down the line. You are opening yourself to complaints from the teams and they WILL use it against you next time in a competitive match.

This is one of those times IMHO you have to be prepared to be unpopular. One RC no sub. Why? Because this is also a practice match for you;)

(I ref similar on Finland, not that it matters!)

You didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. If I haven’t got AR’s thats what I work by. Anybody can say that such and such kicked somebody first etc. The other guy was just as stupid to retaliate

Back