A&H

Player drinking water on the field

Murri O

Turned around on Saturday after the ball was being retrieved for a throw in to see a player standing inside the field of play drinking from a water bottle.

What is the actual rule regards drinking on the field in this instance? As a corollary what if he passes the bottle back before the player takes the throw in vs still drinking from the bottle after the ball has been returned into play.

Also heard some loose talk of 'if you throw the bottle off the field rather than pass it that's a yellow'. What?

Cheers

Last edited:
The Referee Store
He can drink from the bottle, but, cannot be involved/take part in the play, think for example, of the goalkeeper?

Throwing of bottle is not a mandatory caution unless like anything else, you deem it to be dangerous or so on (am not talking extreme when its thrown on with force and it smashes off 4 heads on the way to its targets), as AR/4th its usual to say "come get the water, or pass it on,", rather than, "chuck it on".

If he took part in play, with bottle in hand, its a stop play and give fk to opponent , I suppose someone will quote a law re a caution or not....

Bit harsh depriving someone of water... as long as he's doing it in full breaks in play and not holding anything up I cant remember having a problem.

Never had an issue with it. Drink breaks are common here at the start and end of the season when it gets very hot. On hot days we allow officials to leave water bottles outside the touchline so players have quick and easy access to water during game time (I remember reading a circular form our Football body about this).

If someone with a water bottle gets involved in play, here is how I would deal with it. As long as you think its not a safety issue, allow play to continue and at next stoppage let the player know (and let everyone see) that he shouldn't be doing it. If you think it is becoming a safety issue, stop play (if no advantage) and restart with IFK to opponents for PIADM (can't find a better reason) if the opponents had possession or restart with a dropped ball if he has the ball. For me a lot of law 18 on this one.

Last edited:
I would stop play if player got involved with water bottle, 1, because I want to, and 2, because, being picky, its not part of the players legal equipment, and 3, because i saw it happen at a game i assessed last season and, checked with my powers that be before filing my report and they backed up my interpretation of events !!

"because I want to" and "being picky": many players see that sort of approach as taking a power trip or arrogance and generally leads to match control issues. But if it works for you then I I guess it's okay.

"its not part of the players legal equipment" the law is not specific for when it happens during play in general. I would follow the lead of the example set specifically by law 4 on 'equipment' when a player looses a shinpad or footwear. That example says to allow paly to continue and even allow a goal even thought player equipment are 'illegal'.

Last edited:
I know it's not exactly the scenario under discussion but I thought there had been an amendment saying that drinks breaks are now allowed for medical reasons. However I can't seem to find any direct reference to it, only an indirect mention of stoppage time being allowed for drinks breaks.

I know it's not exactly the scenario under discussion but I thought there had been an amendment saying that drinks breaks are now allowed for medical reasons. However I can't seem to find any direct reference to it, only an indirect mention of stoppage time being allowed for drinks breaks.
I think, iirc, that drinks breaks were to be permitted by competition rules, as opposed to laws of the game. Hence the more vague references to them in the good book.

I did find a further reference to this in the FAQ:
Why have medical/drinks breaks been added to the list of reasons for allowing additional time at the end of a half?
This is because there is medical evidence that in some weather conditions it is very important for players to drink fluids regularly. Reference to these breaks in Law 7 means that competitions can include medical drinks breaks in their rules.

Treat it like you would if a player went over to a manager to get instruction during a game. As long as they stay on the field, then you have nothing to get involved with.

I had a sub come on, banana in hand and stuffing it in as he jogged to the half way line. I enjoyed telling him to jog all the way back and finish his banana before hand ..... A bit different than a water bottle during a quick break though

Back