A&H

Player comment - Red or stern warning?

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
Sunday league game.

Player fouled, proceeds to roll on the floor like you see on TV. Player who committed the foul, directs question at me saying "what's with the gay acting ref?"
Wasn't directed at any player as an insult.
I didn't find it insulting or offensive.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I am with Mr Dean. That's exactly the type of discriminatory remarks that the game is trying to eradicate.
Whilst I too would not find it personally offensive I can't envisage anything but a send off.
Your main problem here is if somebody else heard it and a) complained to you (what would you do then?} or worse they report to the County themselves and then you have to explain why you did nothing about it.

Unless he knows of a footballer called Gay and the comment was what's with the Neymar acting' or '...the Gay acting' its discriminatory language goodbye.

These are the comments if I ever get any as a nee ref I am not looking forward to.
Not finding it offensive myself but I suppose having the guts it you will to produce a red card for this.
Hopefully experience in games will help me with that

Sunday league game.

Player fouled, proceeds to roll on the floor like you see on TV. Player who committed the foul, directs question at me saying "what's with the gay acting ref?"
Wasn't directed at any player as an insult.
I didn't find it insulting or offensive.

Thoughts?
Just about every gay person finds that offensive. It does not have to be heard by people who find it offensive for it to be red.

I have made that mistake before and still regret it (even though in my case I didn't know who the offender was, I could have don't more to find who it was).

Stonewall red. Even it if wasn’t meant to be offensive/discriminatory, it is.

The only person to feel guilty about the RC is the lad who said that, responsibility lies with him.

Well, you've got your answer. The law does not require you to find it offensive, it requires the comment to be offensive, insulting or abusive. Regardless of whether the comment is, in and of itself, offensive it is certainly insulting both to gay people and, presumably, to the straight person whose acting is being called gay. It is an easy sending off from that perspective.

Now, there is the caveat: how public was the question? Were there others within ear-shot? Was the comment loud enough to be considered public? These are questions you must consider when dealing with both OFFINABUS and dissent. The requirement for publicity will vary, depending on the severity of the comment. In this case, it has to meet a very minimal criteria of publicity (i.e.: the reasonable possibility that someone could have possibly heard him say it) whereas something like "you're sh*t, ref" would require a much higher level of publicity to warrant a sending-off.

If I were to sum it up, I would say that the comment itself is entirely deserving of a sending off whether it is in Sunday League or Premier League and everything in between. Having said that, a strong caveat is in place which says that you, as the referee, should be reasonably assured that the comment was public enough that it is not going to be a major shock to anyone that he's sent off. In this example, the comment is so severe and heinous that the requirement for publicity is low: enough to mean that he can't rely on saying "I said play acting, ref" because someone else probably heard him. In other cases, the publicity must be more because the comment is less severe.

Back