A&H

Pitchside monitor finally used!

MJW89

Level 4 Referee
By Michael Oliver in the Palace-Derby game. After reviewing it MO reversed his initial YC to a RC. Good to see the monitor finally being used and hopefully a chance to how VAR is operated in this country. Will we see more of this in the premier league?

The Referee Store
As a Derby fan, it was nice to see it used (to our benefit).

I still maintain VAR shouldn't be in the game though.

Can only assume that is because FA Cup appointments are done by the FA as opposed to PGMOL and may have issued different instructions.

Just seen it on MOTD - fair enough for me. Seems like what VAR is perfect for. Michael Oliver missed something so is able to correct it.

Can only assume that is because FA Cup appointments are done by the FA as opposed to PGMOL and may have issued different instructions.
Watching the incident at half time in the Liverpool game and they were told by the FA that they hadn’t issued any other instructions and that it’s always been allowed for the refs to look at the monitors - I don’t know why the refs would choose not to use VAR screens before if the FA was telling the truth

Watching the incident at half time in the Liverpool game and they were told by the FA that they hadn’t issued any other instructions and that it’s always been allowed for the refs to look at the monitors - I don’t know why the refs would choose not to use VAR screens before if the FA was telling the truth

We don't know who at the FA they spoke to though. Probably the media liaison team, and there's no guarantee that any instruction from the refereeing department has been passed onto them.

Poor refereeing to give a yellow in the first place. He saw the two kick outs and carried on playing.

We don't know who at the FA they spoke to though. Probably the media liaison team, and there's no guarantee that any instruction from the refereeing department has been passed onto them.

I think it had already been stated before the weekend then the directive wouldn't be any different - and remember we've already seen VAR used for the Watford V Tranmere penalty yesterday for instance without the monitor being used.

Referees have always been able to use the monitors if the advice differed from their expectation or it was a missed incident so presumably Oliver felt that applied here.

Waste of time. The VAR could easily have told Oliver about the violent conduct.
Always one isn’t there ...

Peoples complaints this entire season is that referees should be looking at it and making decisions because they are the one in charge and it aids credibility. One finally does it and somebody moans.

The positive is now that after 6 months, there’s been a ‘first use’ and ‘first referee’ which makes it easier to follow suit. MO has taken it on himself to set a precedent and there will be more frequent use now

Cool. Plus it's the same ref making the decision so seems the ref is more in charge.

I like the idea of VAR - we'll just have to put up with several seasons of it bedding in. The TMO in rugby took a while to work smoothly.

Culturally football has to advance and embrace technology. Use the screens in stadiums for replays and get the communication of what's going on to the audience.

I hate posting about the protocol again but... when MO goes the monitor there is some very aggressive crowd behaviour. I wonder if this is part of the reason why PGMOL (presumably) don't want it. The prem grounds are tight and close to the field (mostly)...

I hate posting about the protocol again but... when MO goes the monitor there is some very aggressive crowd behaviour. I wonder if this is part of the reason why PGMOL (presumably) don't want it. The prem grounds are tight and close to the field (mostly)...
And yet ARs survive spending their whole game off the sidelines.
Keep an extra few security personnel near the screen, use a enlarged shelter, and accept that PL crowds are always obnoxious about referees to some degree, more so about VAR at the moment.

That is a clear as day red card
I often wonder if you are just baiting or whether you genuinely would let this sort of thing go.

He is definitely an “old school” type of fan. I don’t have a major issue with it. Football/soccer was once a very different game. If you grew up watching the 70s and 80s where some of the challenges look like car crashes, it’s a different game today.

I really started watching in the early 2000s, when the most severe crackdown on serious foul play was in full effect. I personally think too much is let go in the name of keeping games 11 v 11 at all costs in the professional ranks, but the game always evolves.

Directive hasn't changed my ar$e! It seems a bit too much of a coincident that as soon as we have IFAB talk about malpractice, deviation from best practice and possible license revoke, we have our first OFR use in England after about a year of trialling and PL use.

You don't have to use OFR all the time but flat out refusing to use it does not make sense. For example common sense would say if a referee saw an incident and gave it yellow, then its best that the same referee should make the decision to change it to red.

Back