A&H

Pitches in pitches

DAW7

I remembered this scenario that happened to me a few months back, intrigued to know what you'd do/advise doing. The match had refereeing mentors on site, so I'll share what they said later on.

U15 Academy match, essentially it's a friendly. Red go break into the box, blue defender fouls, penalty, yellow... Nice and easy so far.

Players set up, everyone behind the white line of the penalty area, keeper on the line... penalty taken and scored. Keeper is shouting about "all of them" encroaching.

I look across and immediately realise what he is onabout... they were behind the white line, this match is playing to the red lines... a couple of yards further back. I want the ground to swallow me up, hold my hands up, explain the error and have the penalty retaken. Thankfully it was still scored.

Rest of the match was relatively uneventful and had a good laugh about the penalty with both coaches at the end.i imagine a very different story if this was a cup match or league decider...

What would you have done... stuck with the original, retake, other? And yes I know the bottom line is bloody pay more attention to the lines!

The Referee Store
Back