A&H

Pitch markings - 2nd time now

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Just to add another tiopic to my eventful last minute semi final a few weeks ago.

For the 2nd time this season, I found a 'youth' pitch - 11 v 11 was marked wrongly - penalty area too small and more importantly penalty mark only 10 yards from goal.

Also like the first time, managers amazed that a) I noticed b) that I was correct and c) that it mattered very much

Anyone else had this or indeed does anyone else actually check pitch markings before a game? (Slightly provocative question I admit!)

Cheers

The Referee Store
I always check the pitch markings. I've had numerous issues with clarity of the lines but only once with dimensions - one penalty box 8 yards narrower than the other. All agreed to switch to a free adjacent pitch.

I had an Arc for the PA line once :shifty: (still have ti pic :) ) Given there was no other option, after talking to both captains, we decided to go ahead with the game.
Feint lines are quite common here towards the end of the season.

1519219477791.png

A friend of mine had a team literally on their hands and knees before a game marking it as there was no lines they had to paint them by hand...needless to say they weren't very happy!

indeed does anyone else actually check pitch markings before a game?

I do thesedays, especially for the penalty mark. But I try and overlook minor issues where I can.

My first game this season was on a pitch that was double-marked, which did cause some confusion, and even the assessor was a bit miffed about it, but everyone was happy to play, so we got on with things. :)

I had a pre season game many years ago that had been half marked and I think the council had run out of paint. A few carefully positioned sprint marker cones and we were good to go. No moans whatsoever, always on my call, they’d paid for me and the pitch, everyone was happy to play so we got on with it...

Last edited:
I had a club marking out a pitch with spray paint before for a pre season friendly

Also had a game this year on an asymmetrical pitch! One touch line 7 or 8 yards closer to the goal than the other, mental.

I had a club marking out a pitch with spray paint before for a pre season friendly

Also had a game this year on an asymmetrical pitch! One touch line 7 or 8 yards closer to the goal than the other, mental.

As AR I've had referee spot that the centre circle was too small - at a League 1 club academy as well!

The other good one is letting clubs know that the markings they've been using all season are actually ten yards from the corner flag rather than 10 yards from the edge of the corner arc ... :)

I had one last summer where the touchline on the one side of the pitch was about 10m from the edge of the PA.

On the other side? 22m.

Fortunately, one of the guys had white spray paint in his truck, and we painted an interim line that was (approximately) 10m from the edge of the PA.

Last edited:
Yeah, the imbeciles at the council or those who sort the pitches out at my local playing fields having been doing this for years. Everyone's used to it, I just used to get on with it and ref the game unless there was anything serious that needed looking at which it didn't. Generally bog standard U13 teams aren't too bothered and would be pretty angry if someone turned up and wanted to discuss the pitch markings.

There's one eleven a side pitch that has the penalty box marked out which is the correct size but the touchlines are literally about one yard from the penalty box. Bit ridiculous but it is what it is.

It's eye-opening to read some of these stories about the pitches in England. A majority of the games I ref (in the Raleigh, North Carolina area) are on synthetic turf and the grass fields are closed when it rains.

Back