A&H

piercing or flapping ear skin?

SM

The avuncular one
This incident happened in a pre-season game I refereed.

A player had one of those black rubber spacer style piercings in his ear. It was solid rubber and had no hole in it. I mentioned that piercings were not to be worn and he took it out, leaving a large flappy skin hole in his ear lobe! :confused:

I told him to put it back in as the risk is surely greater with the flapping ear lobe, but how does the laws of the game view that?

Talking to him afterwards I told him I had no idea how it would work during the season with his ear, as letter of the law the piercing comes out and I guess he tapes up the hole?

Fashion. Its lost of me.

The Referee Store
It's called cherry-picking, Justy.

Practically all referees do it - and even the PGMOL ;)

Sorry again not in my matches que ryan owens

If its classed as jewelery cant be in .period who decides we do the referees

Last edited by a moderator:
More on this: FIFA are clear that there is to be no jewelry on the field of play except for a watch or similar timekeeping device for the official. That is non-negotiable. The only other question is whether or not that player's ear-holes are unsafe to himself or others. In my opinion, not really and, frankly, he's an adult and can make that decision. What's more is that his dangly ears are not equipment and so do not fall under that law, nor are they bloody. So, ultimately, I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on when denying him the opportunity to play (just as you don't have a leg to stand on denying someone with oversized ears playing or something foolish like that).

More on this: FIFA are clear that there is to be no jewelry on the field of play except for a watch or similar timekeeping device for the official. That is non-negotiable. The only other question is whether or not that player's ear-holes are unsafe to himself or others. In my opinion, not really and, frankly, he's an adult and can make that decision. What's more is that his dangly ears are not equipment and so do not fall under that law, nor are they bloody. So, ultimately, I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on when denying him the opportunity to play (just as you don't have a leg to stand on denying someone with oversized ears playing or something foolish like that).
Ryan what a quality answer this should put it to bed ........... probably not ;)

Player was wearing them, taped up, in my game yesterday.....I allowed it

Going to query it with my cfa for 'definitive' sussex approach

Great feedback, Alex.

Thanks for that

The only question that still remains for me now is, 'Why would anyone choose to do it in the first place?'

Player was wearing them, taped up, in my game yesterday.....I allowed it

Going to query it with my cfa for 'definitive' sussex approach

took them quite a while to tell me that they don't have a definitive answer and so are going to the fa for one

- sorry to disappoint you mike ;)

Reactions: SM
Last season I had a team captain walk up to me for the pre kick off pleasantries with what I can only describe as a bull horn through his nose .....I looked at my assistants in disbelief .....anyway shook his hand and said ...."that comes out " he replied" I cant iv just had it done " .....followed by the classic "ill tape it up ref " ..again disbelieving looks between officials " Don't you plan on breathing at any point in this game"

It came out :D

Back