A&H

Pickford Again

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Escapes the attention of VAR again. How many times does Maguire need to be kicked to get a PK?
Answers on a postcard. Unreal

The Referee Store
They just don't get given at the top level if the foul(s) happen after the shot has been got away.

I actually think there's a shout for a foul by Maguire on Pickford before any potential fouls on the latter.

I don't know if there's something weird going on with Pickford or if it's GK protection more generally, but again, that's unreal!

Midfielder kicks another midfielder in the chest in the centre circle and the only question is what colour is the card. Pickford does it in a position where it would have been easier to use his hands!!! and nothing is given.

Maguire (bless his cotton socks) gets kicked in the midriff twice
You're right that there's a tendency not to give PK's once the attacker has gotten the shot away, but this is a trend that stems from the fact the ball is often out of play when the contact occurs
This is a (another) laughable incident resulting from poor goalkeeping. Southgate's loyalty to Pickford is in danger of matching BoJo's love of Dom

And yet Southgate claims nobody is pushing him for the England number 1 spot. Pickford is a total liability

Maguire has publicly come out and said that he pushed Pickford and therefore it should have been a defensive free kick and not a penalty. Which I would say clear this one up, as I said above that was my view at the time, there's a clear hand in the chest and push.

Maguire has publicly come out and said that he pushed Pickford and therefore it should have been a defensive free kick and not a penalty. Which I would say clear this one up, as I said above that was my view at the time, there's a clear hand in the chest and push.
Come on Rusty, they are England teammates FGS (fact). Since when do we listen to what comes out of a player's mouth? I was one of them once!
This was uncertain goalkeeping, trivial contact with JP and a clear double-whammy PK as a direct consequence (not fact, just IMO)
We're not on the same page this weekend!

Irrespective of whether Pickford was fouled or not, why wasn't there an on field review?

I don't think that clears anything up! No defensive FK was given either - so it's not the case that the game was stopped before the penalty foul occurred, and no VAR review happened to reach that conclusion. Instead, all that's happened is both fouls got missed.

I don't think that clears anything up! No defensive FK was given either - so it's not the case that the game was stopped before the penalty foul occurred, and no VAR review happened to reach that conclusion. Instead, all that's happened is both fouls got missed.

The restart was a goal kick though, which in all effect is exactly the same as a free kick would have been. So we have no idea what VAR actually said, but what is certain is that the foul on Pickford occurred before either of the fouls on Maguire.

Irrespective of whether Pickford was fouled or not, why wasn't there an on field review?

The VAR will only recommend an OFR if the VAR believes there was clear error. So you can’t really say there should be an OFR unless you say there was a clear error.

The VAR will only recommend an OFR if the VAR believes there was clear error. So you can’t really say there should be an OFR unless you say there was a clear error.
The foul by Pickford was a clear error in isolation.

Does a potential foul before a normally reviewable clear error mean the whole incident is not subject to OFR?

Back