A&H

PGMOL

James P

The Times are reporting that Kevin Friend has now retired. With only one SG2 referee promoted and 4 lost, SG1 seems very light. Could we see other referees promoted to SG1 before the season starts if not how do you think PGMOL will go about their referee shortage?

The Referee Store
Maybe they'll spread the load a bit more as well. The newbies last year barley did a dozen games between them I think

Absolutely. We'll see way more of the 'standard' games this coming season for Jared Gillett, John Brooks, Michael Salisbury and Tony Harrington and this should cover the majority of those games from those retiring

The more interesting area will be the 'top' games (generally those between 2 of the "Big 6") ... it was clear last season that Paul Tierney is now being trusted with these games (rightly IMO) and Oliver / Taylor / Pawson will obviously do their share. However they'll need a couple of others to step up to these games and it'll be interesting to see who is given the nod.

Last edited:
I suspect this is what they were planning for all along. They knew they had several officials that were about to retire, and promoted several SG2 referees that were barely used. My guess would be it was to get them exposed to Premier League games (albeit as 4th official), used to training camps, and generally being a full time referee. They will now have to be released onto games full time so the proof will be in the pudding in terms of whether that approach worked.

I suspect this is what they were planning for all along. They knew they had several officials that were about to retire, and promoted several SG2 referees that were barely used. My guess would be it was to get them exposed to Premier League games (albeit as 4th official), used to training camps, and generally being a full time referee. They will now have to be released onto games full time so the proof will be in the pudding in terms of whether that approach worked.
Thought SG2 were pro now. Seems odd that there isn't already an overlap between the two as there is with all the other levels eg R step 5/6 AR step 3/4 etc etc.

Thought SG2 were pro now. Seems odd that there isn't already an overlap between the two as there is with all the other levels eg R step 5/6 AR step 3/4 etc etc.
I don't think they are as full time as SG1. Think they only get around half the base salary, so understandable that they can have other roles as well.

The idea of retiring referees doing VAR does not seem to be going down well, SG1 referees will certainly be kept busy next season.

Always said it, you should not have a situation where your top refs do near 30 matches and the guy at the bottom barely doing 5 matches, if your promoting these referees you should have the trust to give them more matches than they are given.

Back