A&H

Peter Bankes

The Referee Store
That's because Champions League games after the early rounds mainly only go to elite category referees, and only Taylor and Oliver are on that list. Kavanagh and Pawson are both category 1 so will get the next level of games, but Kavanagh seems to be getting better games, presumably because he is younger and more likely to progress. Realistically, at 41 Pawson has no chance of progressing to elite.

Attwell, Bankes, Coote, Madley and Tierney are all category 2 so won't get any better than Europa League or internationals between lower ranked nations.
There will be an increased number of games next season with the introduction of the UEFA Conference League. Match officials will be required to cover those appetising fixtures.

no but needs the bigger games experience instead of giving these games to martin again

They won't take that risk. Martin Atkinson was excellent tonight, Mike Dean, another old hand, has been excellent all season. Andre Marriner is having a really good season. Oliver, Taylor, Pawson and Kavanagh are all experienced and recognised with high level FIFA and UEFA appointments. They just won't risk giving a first or second year SG1 referee those really big games, both in terms of destroying their confidence but also drawing criticism of the appointment.

I compare it to business. If you have the chance of winning a massive contract you send your best and most proven account managers. The up and coming, less experienced, account managers are initially restricted to the lower value contracts until they have fully proved themselves.

They won't take that risk. Martin Atkinson was excellent tonight, Mike Dean, another old hand, has been excellent all season. Andre Marriner is having a really good season. Oliver, Taylor, Pawson and Kavanagh are all experienced and recognised with high level FIFA and UEFA appointments. They just won't risk giving a first or second year SG1 referee those really big games, both in terms of destroying their confidence but also drawing criticism of the appointment.

I compare it to business. If you have the chance of winning a massive contract you send your best and most proven account managers. The up and coming, less experienced, account managers are initially restricted to the lower value contracts until they have fully proved themselves.

and all refs get tester games (between two bigish teams) to see if they do cope well and can handle it before being exposed to the biggest games. happens at every level in refereeing too. you wouldnt expect a new level 4 to be thrown into a top of the table clash first up, ditto a new PL ref.
your business analogy is spot on.

It is 37 for getting on to FIFA, not for coming off. I think 46 is the age for retirement, but they now aren't as strict on it and offer extensions.

Don't think Roger East has ever been on FIFA lists though, certainly not as a referee.
Thanks - he spoke about being on the line when I saw him on the podcast and said Pirlo was the best player he had seen when officiating - as he (Pirlo) hasn't played in the PL, I'm guessing he must have been a FIFA official at some stage?

Thanks - he spoke about being on the line when I saw him on the podcast and said Pirlo was the best player he had seen when officiating - as he (Pirlo) hasn't played in the PL, I'm guessing he must have been a FIFA official at some stage?

Pretty sure he was a PL assistant before he became a FL referee, so entirely possible.

Pretty sure he was a PL assistant before he became a FL referee, so entirely possible.
He was. He's from just outside Salisbury where he owns a sawmill with his brother, so reasonably local. He's always been a good friend of the local RA's and I've been lucky enough to listen to him speak a few times. His story is really interesting and he also ended up having a full blood transfusion that knocked him for 6 at one point and he had to work up to getting fit again as he could barely walk up a flight of stairs for a time.

All in all, he was good value to listen to!

He was. He's from just outside Salisbury where he owns a sawmill with his brother, so reasonably local. He's always been a good friend of the local RA's and I've been lucky enough to listen to him speak a few times. His story is really interesting and he also ended up having a full blood transfusion that knocked him for 6 at one point and he had to work up to getting fit again as he could barely walk up a flight of stairs for a time.

All in all, he was good value to listen to!
I agree with all that, he was interesting on the podcast that Middlesex arranged with him as well.

Back