A&H

Persistent Infringement ....

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
Are there any circumstances when you might caution a player for being persistently penalised for being in an offside position?

The Referee Store
If the player is doing it in an obviously calculated way (eg standing in an offside position trying to block the GKs line of vision at numerous free kicks) then yes. In the normal run of play, no

If the player is doing it in an obviously calculated way (eg standing in an offside position trying to block the GKs line of vision at numerous free kicks) then yes.

It would be USB, not Persistent Infringement, you're not sanctioning the fact that he's offside, you're sanctioning the fact that he adopts an unsporting behaviour

It would be USB, not Persistent Infringement, you're not sanctioning the fact that he's offside, you're sanctioning the fact that he adopts an unsporting behaviour
Can see that this could also be construed as UB. But I don't see anything in the Laws that preclude (deliberate, irritating!) offside offences from being included in the definition of PI?

Are there any circumstances when you might caution a player for being persistently penalised for being in an offside position?
No it's a technical offence, a bit like persistently taking a throw-in incorrectly, which you wouldn't caution for either

Another way of thinking of it, is that he is only penalising his own team

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I don't see how the striker is doing anything wrong beside being offside
If you consider that he's interfering while being offside, than give the offside
If he does it again, do it again
If he does it again, do it again

Who is he harming beside his own team in this scenario ?

Thanks for all replies to my original question. This was something asked of me by a footballing colleague recently. I couldn't think of any realistic scenario myself so I'm pleased to see that this is the general consensus.

Back