A&H

Performance enhancing substances

one

RefChat Addict
Should referees be allowed to takes performance enhancing substances that players are not allowed to take?

The Referee Store
I'd go with no.
Whilst we're not competing with the players, there are other referees competing to be the one in the middle.

Performance enhancing drugs 'can' have some serious health issues associated and if some referees feel the needed to take them and potentially abuse them to advance their career this could lead to a real problem for those individuals.

Absolutely not. Why is that even up for debate? Why would we want referees on drugs, any more that we would want players on drugs?

As @afronaut81 points out, no drug is without potential harmful effects - another reason to steer clear of them.

Ok let me clarify a couple of thing. I deliberately did not use the word Drug.
Secondly let's qualify this by saying it can not be proven the substance has a negative effect on health (or even it can be proven it doesn't) .

I hadn't done the research but I am sure there are sports banned but legal substances out there which enhance performance, physically or mentally, which don't negatively impact health.

I don't actually know what "substances" you're talking about but from what I've read, in addition to none of them being totally without any possible side effects, there are no performance enhancing compounds that are guaranteed to do what you want them to anyway. Their effects are unpredictable at the individual level and for example, seem to work least best on already high-functioning persons.

As far as I know, referees are not supposed to take any kind of performance enhancer and there have even been suggestions that top-level referees should undergo the same types of drug testing that players do.

There's a link below from the Mayo Clinic cautioning against trying any kind of performance-enhancing drug, including some supposedly benign ones like creatine. As it states (in part):
The long-term effects of performance-enhancing drugs haven't been rigorously studied. And short-term benefits are tempered by many risks. Not to mention that doping is prohibited by most sports organizations.

No matter how you look at it, using performance-enhancing drugs is risky business.

Mayo Clinic article

I'd say yes.

But only if they're regulated as safe to use. Preferably after several peer-reviewed and top quality study and clinical trial.

Thing is though, I think in my case, legal, regulated performance enhancers would be accepted and used by players as well as officials if it ever came to pass.

Services refs have to be careful with energy gels as there are certain brands which make them fail their drugs tests. i was told this by a RAF ref I worked with.

Services refs have to be careful with energy gels as there are certain brands which make them fail their drugs tests. i was told this by a RAF ref I worked with.
Are non service referees required to do random drug testing once they get towards the top of the ladder?*

*asking for a friend

Should referees be allowed to takes performance enhancing substances that players are not allowed to take?
Think this is a great question. Especially given that many referees already do use substances / products to attempt to enhance their performances. Energy gels have already been mentioned, caffeine drinks / tablets are another example. You could also go the complete opposite way and consider beta blockers to keep calm / reduce anxiety. So long as there was a level playing field for all officials then, assuming no health risks as above (BIG assumption :) ) then why not?

Think this is a great question. Especially given that many referees already do use substances / products to attempt to enhance their performances. Energy gels have already been mentioned, caffeine drinks / tablets are another example. You could also go the complete opposite way and consider beta blockers to keep calm / reduce anxiety. So long as there was a level playing field for all officials then, assuming no health risks as above (BIG assumption :) ) then why not?
But none of the things mentioned are banned, unless you got the beta blockers through dodgy channels e.g. they weren't prescribed for a genuine medical condition.

Beta Blockers (Propranolol in particular) will help with the somatic symptoms of anxiety, but not so much the psychological aspect. However, these tablets will also reduce maximal heart rate (which would be a problem for a fitness test, but probably won't be a factor when refereeing). They also have unwanted side effects
Benzodiazapines have the potential to negatively effect judgement and cause drowsiness. Alcohol and refereeing could be interesting. Officiating on narcotics could be newsworthy. In summary, exercise and a good diet might be the best bet

Down to the individual to take/ingest whatever they want to. Not the Nanny State to decree what should and shouldn't happen.

If you're a top ref and the organisation you work for has substance-related rules for the players then sure, you should fall within the same rule bracket I guess.

Outside of that though, it's absolutely nobody else's business what a person does with their body. Risk-related or not. I fail to see what substances a grass roots or even supply/contrib league referee could take that would enhance his performance as referee so that it made much of a difference (to anyone else).

Those members on here shunning the notion based on their perception that if substances are potentially harmful they shouldn't be "allowed" would do well to remember the effects of alcohol and smoking on the human body. We don't see them being banned by any government or organisation do we? I despise that whole hypocritical "duty-of-care-nanny-state" crap that everybody seems to have bought into over the years. The same crap that prevents a supermarket cashier from allowing you to purchase more than once packet/box of paracetamol or ibuprofen but it's quite alright to walk out with the 6 bottles of vodka and 60 Benson & Hedges that are in the same trolley.

Rant over. :D

Down to the individual to take/ingest whatever they want to. Not the Nanny State to decree what should and shouldn't happen.

If you're a top ref and the organisation you work for has substance-related rules for the players then sure, you should fall within the same rule bracket I guess.

Outside of that though, it's absolutely nobody else's business what a person does with their body. Risk-related or not. I fail to see what substances a grass roots or even supply/contrib league referee could take that would enhance his performance as referee so that it made much of a difference (to anyone else).

Those members on here shunning the notion based on their perception that if substances are potentially harmful they shouldn't be "allowed" would do well to remember the effects of alcohol and smoking on the human body. We don't see them being banned by any government or organisation do we? I despise that whole hypocritical "duty-of-care-nanny-state" crap that everybody seems to have bought into over the years. The same crap that prevents a supermarket cashier from allowing you to purchase more than once packet/box of paracetamol or ibuprofen but it's quite alright to walk out with the 6 bottles of vodka and 60 Benson & Hedges that are in the same trolley.

Rant over. :D

The only issue with that is at level 4, and even more so at level 3 and above, referees are directly competing against each other. They are in a league table just like the teams that they referee are, and like the teams those at the top go up and those at the bottom get relegated. So is it right that some could enhance their position in that league table by taking performance enhancing substances that would see any of the players they referee banned if they got caught?

That said, I've never heard of any referees taking any such substances. Plenty taking things would do anything but enhance their performance, and I've seen plenty that looked like they were on something based on their decisions, but nothing conscious.

Back