A&H

Penalty or Not?

The Referee Store
Penalty. Might be regarded as "soft" by some pundits, but as soon as he has his arm around his neck it makes it an easy call.

Car? Definitely not red. To be honest, I wouldn't be carding this, but I am conscious that my cards don't, perhaps, see as much light of day as they should. Happy to be educated on this, but not the worst foul you are going to see all afternoon. Penalty is "reward" enough.

Penalty. Might be regarded as "soft" by some pundits, but as soon as he has his arm around his neck it makes it an easy call.

Car? Definitely not red. To be honest, I wouldn't be carding this, but I am conscious that my cards don't, perhaps, see as much light of day as they should. Happy to be educated on this, but not the worst foul you are going to see all afternoon. Penalty is "reward" enough.

I agree. Whilst it isn't an offence to have a hand/arm on or around a player, it's the effect that it has on the player which is penalised. The attackers movement is limited by the arm around the neck and it does stop his movement. He feels that resistance and goes down as if his legs had been lassoed... penalty, no need for a card in this situation.

Agree with the consensus on this, penalty no card. Had same situation on an observed game last week, not mention was made of my lack of card- though I did have a word with the offender.

I am not saying this is not a penalty but the Orange 5 is pretty clever here. He instigates the wrestling with a couple of shoves of his own and then as soon as he feels the contact he drops like a stone.

Mike Dean would have given it on his one man crusade :D

And for the record, I would have given it as well, but not produce a card.

Both doing the same thing for me. The problem with the modern game is that both push and shove, but the attacking player always goes down like they have been shot.

Penalty all day long as I warn players at first corners at each end. Yellow card at most but dependant on when in the game and if he has been offending with little fouls leading up to the incident

Back