A&H

Penalty or Free Kick

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Just finished my first game of the new year, and it wasn't great if I'm honest.

One icident that occured was that I awarded the home team a penalty about 15 minutes into the first half.

Home team striker running into the box (Stripes) and is shoulder to shoulder with away defender (blue).

The blue player pulled stripes down about 5 yards into the box, after I blew up for the penalty the away team were adamant that as the holding had started outside of the penalty area it should be a free kick, I pointed out that if the holding had stopped out side the penalty area then they would be right, however as the holding carried on into the penalty area that it was a penalty. Which they seemed to grudgingly accept.

Now I am happy that the foul was occurred in the penalty area, but I was just wondering what others thoughts are.

Even the home team said afterwards that they've had similar incidents where the ref awarded a free kick.

The Referee Store
You are correct as in the LOTG, Page 120 it says "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick"

Reactions: Kes
Thanks, to be honest I've not had a chance to check the LOTG yet, but at the time I was confident that I was correct, but when the team I awarded the penalty to starting questioning it after the match I started to second guess myself.

Lol - time to get to an internet device, turn it on, log on, create a thread, type all the descriptions of events......

but not enough time to open a book.

If they arent buying it then say it wasn't a foul until it was inside the box. I've used that excuse before and seems to shut people up. "Was 50/50, but the foul occurred in the area."

If they arent buying it then say it wasn't a foul until it was inside the box. I've used that excuse before and seems to shut people up. "Was 50/50, but the foul occurred in the area."

I might try that next time.

As an aside, anyone know what leagues do with club marks?

normally advise you at the en of the season, and pass them to the RDO for promotion grading etc.

If it's the same offense outside the box as inside its a foul.

Don't use that. Just be strong and tell them b0llocks you're the referee not them.

If it's the same offense outside the box as inside its a foul.

Don't use that. Just be strong and tell them b0llocks you're the referee not them.

As a referee its our opinion that counts, so in this situation in my opinion it only became a foul once inside the penalty area! ;)

"What, you don't think it was a foul when I grabbed his shirt back there? You're f****** blind!!!"
Don't make up nonsense to try and get yourself out of trouble. Stick to what you know, then if somebody complains you know it's not your fault. Holding is a continuous foul. It's that simple.
It's kind of advantage. If it's a continuous foul, then is there a bigger advantage in awarding the FK at the beginning or end of the foul? Sometimes it may be the beginning!!

No different to 2 rapid consecutive fouls (although the difference there is the 2nd contact may put the player down, but may not be a foul, just looks like one because the player is off balance)

"What, you don't think it was a foul when I grabbed his shirt back there? You're f****** blind!!!"
Don't make up nonsense to try and get yourself out of trouble. Stick to what you know, then if somebody complains you know it's not your fault. Holding is a continuous foul. It's that simple.
It's kind of advantage. If it's a continuous foul, then is there a bigger advantage in awarding the FK at the beginning or end of the foul?
Sometimes it may be the beginning!!

No different to 2 rapid consecutive fouls (although the difference there is the 2nd contact may put the player down, but may not be a foul, just looks like one because the player is off balance)

Thanks that is very interesting, I'd never considered it like that. So in my case the fact it ended in the penalyt area meant that a penalty was the bigger advantage than a free kick just outside the area.

But if it had happened on another part of the pitch then the bigger advantage may have been in the free kick from where it started than from where it ended.

This is why I like this site, another view on incidents makes you consider something which you might not pick up simply from reading the LOTG or watch videos.

Reactions: Kes
Say for instance a player is 30 yards out from goal and in the middle but heading to the touch line. He's being held but continues to run. You can see that if he breaks free he has unmarked players to get the ball to, so you're holding the whistle to see what happens, but no dice. So, better position for the free kick is more in the middle than near the touch line.

Back