A&H

Paul Scholes he scores goals...

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Reading that Englands most gifted player of all time played for Royton Town yesterday, aside from officiating at a senior game where of course you large it with the stars, anyone turned up at their lower depths match only to find an ex top flight player joining you on council pitch 9 on a Sunday afternoon?

The Referee Store
Nearly.... I reffed a team that Chris Waddle was registered as a keeper for, he's cracking on now and not as fit as he was. Sadly, he was away on commentary duty so never got the pleasure of thanking him for ruining my day on the 1993 FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

The game was at the club next to my house. I was on a game 20 miles away though so didn't get to see him. My son watched it for a bit.

Nearly.... I reffed a team that Chris Waddle was registered as a keeper for, he's cracking on now and not as fit as he was. Sadly, he was away on commentary duty so never got the pleasure of thanking him for ruining my day on the 1993 FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

Another Falkirk legend

Yes, an ex-Aston Villa player, but I can't remember his name. Was a defender.

He thought I was a decent ref, so high praise I guess? :p This was years ago though.

L4s doing Step 7!?! Sin bins will be interesting for you next season (if you don't get promoted).
Totally a normal thing for 4s to do step 7. I'm aware that 4s do step 6 too, it all depends on what pool you are on.
I'd be surprised if supply leagues take on temp dismissals. But if they do will have NARs to time them for me anyway ;)

L4s referee Step 5 and Step 6 on the west mids pool. Massive jump to Step 4 from Step 7.

L4s referee Step 5 and Step 6 on the west mids pool. Massive jump to Step 4 from Step 7.
Interesting. We run the line step 5-3 with L3s in the middle..
What leagues are you reffing on then?
Whose reffing your step 7? Surely they are appointed by FA as within the national league system? Unless there isnt a step 7 where u r, or more likey a different pool covers.

Run lines at Step 3 and Step 4 in Northern or Southern League.

Step 7 and Step 8 are appointed by the leagues appointment sec and will have L5 refs or L6s going for promotion.
Often have l7s on the line at Step 5, not a bad thing as they are usually keen.

Run lines at Step 3 and Step 4 in Northern or Southern League.

Step 7 and Step 8 are appointed by the leagues appointment sec and will have L5 refs or L6s going for promotion.
Often have l7s on the line at Step 5, not a bad thing as they are usually keen.
I find it fascinating the difference in levels at the same steps. Our step 5s are always l3mid/l4line. I guess that would only change if there was a shortage of l4.

I refereed a game with Ray Parlour, Martin Keown, Claudio Cannigia, Brian McBride and Graeme Le Saux playing, with the team being managed by Terry Venables. I wasn't supposed to be, but ended up in the middle anyway.

Refereed Junior Lewis, ex of Leicester City, when he was at Welwyn Garden City and (I think) Edgware Town. And Ipswich's James Scowcroft when he was at Bury Town (and sent him off ..!). Sunday League I refereed Pablo Ardiles, son of Ossie, although as a player he never got above semi-pro level.

I remember reading about the Sheffield Sunday League team who registered and played John Sheridan, Chris Waddle and David Hirst in the same team. Good look getting the ball off Waddle, or facing a Hirst freekick, who depending on which records you believe still holds the one for fastest ever free kick at 114mph. You don't want that in the gonads the morning after a night on the ales .... :)

Chris Waddle was registered with John Beresford (Ex Newcastle) in the same team in the Wragg League Over 35s.

Interesting thread, but to describe Scholes as England's most gifted player of all time shows that there's still a sense of humour on this forum. ... :D :p

Back