A&H

Overhanging tree

Quarryref

Inspecting the pitch before the game I noticed a tree overhanging the pitch about 10 feet above the ground along one of the goal lines just inside the penalty area. Obvious risk of diverting the ball, especially from a corner. I spoke to both captains before the game and said if the ball hit the tree and diverted it in a way that affected the play I would stop the play and restart with a drop ball. Not fancying unnecessary drop balls in that part of the field I said if the ball just brushed the tree and didn't cause an issue I would play on. I also said any deliberate use of the tree to gain an advantage would be pulled for unsporting. One captain said thanks, good to hear some common sense as he had a problem previously with a diverted ball. The other to my surprise had a big moan basically saying I couldn't make the rules up and had to play on. I put him right (he turned out to be one of those who winges about everything) and happily the tree wasn't a factor in the game. Anyone else had anything similar or would suggest a different approach ?

The Referee Store
Ball hitting tree over pitch - drop ball

Players should never have had problem with diverted ball

'Last weeks referee' seemingly at fault there.

Commonsense could dictate that if ball was clearly heading over the goal line, you would award goal kick / corner as appropriate - and telling players pre-match should cover that

I think you went down the right route. I personally don't think I'd be able to turn round and call the match off because of a tree. Especially if games had been taking place all season. I wouldn't have the bottle for that!

If the league has sanctioned the pitch for use, then it is used. Damn trees being there far longer than football pitches... Who do they think they are?

My local ground has this problem and the very first game I did was there - I went with pretty much the same instructions as you Quarry - and got a similar response (from both sides). Law 18 again, I think!

Back