A&H

'Outside the area'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLI39

Slightly random question, but I had reason to clarify something in law after last weekend's match. I noticed that an attacker was standing very close to the edge of the box as a goal kick was being prepared, perhaps on the line. I wondered whether 'must remain outside the area' includes or excludes the line in that scenario. So too with the penalty procedure: I don't know about other referees, but I have never physically checked that the players aren't touching the line of the D.
On the other hand, and I admit this is a less likely interpretation, would this only be an offence if the whole of the player were over the whole of the line (cf. front foot on the throw-in and determining a goal)?

On a related note, if you felt a goalkeeper and defender were colluding to force retakes of goal kicks (three times, say), should you caution for unsporting behaviour or delaying the restart? And is there any logic to why the goal kick is not encompassed in law by the caution for failing to respect the required distance? I can only assume it's because there's a difference between specific spatial dimensions on the field of play and random yardage. But clarification would be appreciated, as I often confuse the categories regardless.

Thanks

The Referee Store
The line is part of the area it contains.

So... outside of the penalty area means... not standing on the line.

Strictly speaking they shouldn't be touching the line. But grand scheme of things, that's kinda trifling really.

If the goalkeeper has played the ball to a defender from a goal kick and the defender is inside the box/moves inside and touches the ball, the kick is to be retaken. The ball is not in play until it has left the penalty area.

Some players aren't aware of this law so as you penalise, explain your decision "the ball is not in play until it has left the penalty area". If you've explained your decision and the defender does the same thing again, it could be USB or you could argue persistent infringement of the LOTG? Either way, penalise the offence because they are either being pig ignorant or completely taking the p**s.

The required distance for a goal kick is outside the penalty area.

Last edited:
To be pedantic, the defender can be outside the PA and touch the ball before it has wholly left the PA.
While the law requires the attacker to be outside the PA (so not on the line), the fact that we ignore trifling infringements is relevant here. Not worth making an issue out of - if you're concerned, then just be close to that area next goal kick, don't hang around but just quickly comment as you're running past the attacker. But if he's on the edge you'll have to make sure you're in a position to spot it if the ball goes to him - because the ball must have wholly left. As that's a ball in/out of play thing, ignoring trifling infringements can't come into play there.
Failing to respect the required distance is more about ensuring the attacking team has the leeway provided by the laws in taking their kick. Not really a relevant concern at a goal kick - it's not like it's a shot on goal that's being blocked. So infringements here are quite minor.

Although it's not exactly the scenario under discussion, I believe it is also usually held that if a team takes a goal kick quickly, and there is an opponent (or opponents) still inside the penalty area, play should be allowed to continue so long as the opponent(s) do not use their position in the penalty area to affect the play. It's more or less the same principle as an opponent being less than ten yards away when a team takes a quick free kick.

Edit: I kept thinking that this was in the Laws of the Game somewhere but I couldn't find it. Then I remembered that is only for a quick free kick by the defending team inside the penalty area, that it is specifically stated that this should be allowed. Anyway, I still think that the same should apply for a quickly-taken goal kick.

Last edited:
The line is part of the area it contains.

Slightly off topic, but this also means that a player can be in an offside position if stood directly on the half-way line... which I would argue is correct anyway.

Slightly off topic, but this also means that a player can be in an offside position if stood directly on the half-way line... which I would argue is correct anyway.
Ah yes, but the half-way line is part of both halves so you could make the argument either way. For offside though, we have a different principle that can be applied. When considering the "virtual offside line" that is drawn across the field at the point where either the ball or the second-last defender is located, we are told that the player is only in an offside position if "any part of [his] head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line" than this virtual line.

In other discussions on this topic that I have seen, it seems that most refs (myself included) prefer to use the closer analogy to something that is already part of the offside law, meaning that a player on the halfway line is only in an offside position if any part of his head, body or feet is ahead of the line.

Yes, as long as a portion of the player is _inside_ the other half. When on the halfway line, for offside position, the interpretation is that it belongs to the half in which the player is a defender.

So... if the ball is in team A's end, a player from team A is on the halfway line, he's still in his (or her) own half.

In short, @Peter Grove has hit that one on the nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back