A&H

Opinion on a colleagues assessment...

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
I've mentioned before a colleague and good friend is trying to go 6-4 this season. He's had his first assessment through today and sent it across.

I'm not going to post the full assessment on here as I've not asked him and it wouldn't be fair, but I've put one paragraph I picked out as seeming a little harsh below....

N.B. I wasn't at the game so have no more knowledge of the incident than is on the assessment. Referee concerned says he never noticed it at all and it wasn't mentioned in the debrief.

Did you spot the Red official with the camera in the final few minutes of the game using high powered flash photography? This posed a danger to players aerially challenging for the ball in his vicinity. Other team officials and subs were aware of the blinding flash directly infront of unsuspecting players. Were you?

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
If it wasn't in the debrief then it shouldn't be in the report, simple as!

Do you know if any development advice offered along with the criticism?

Was it an attempt to distract players? Hence the inclusion in the assessment......

My understanding was it was a genuine attempt to take images of the red team 'in action' by a red official.

If it wasn't in the debrief then it shouldn't be in the report, simple as!

Do you know if any development advice offered along with the criticism?

This is everything that is mentioned in the assessment report in relation to this point.

One point I did make to my colleague is that the tone throughout appears to be critical with no solutions offered.

My understanding was it was a genuine attempt to take images of the red team 'in action' by a red official.

This is everything that is mentioned in the assessment report in relation to this point.

One point I did make to my colleague is that the tone throughout appears to be critical with no solutions offered.

Yes it comes across quite confrontational!

If that's all it was then I can't see the/his problem.

Danger to players? /facepalm
Flash photography is used a lot in sports. There's no danger. And given how much it's used I daresay it's not going to be all that distracting. The argument could be made that a team official shouldn't be using flash because of the potential to distract, but I think that would be up to the referee. The argument could be made either way.

Pointless comment though. 'did you spot?' is not providing feedback or a coaching point. It's a thinly veiled attack, implying the referee was blind without any comment on the implications or what action should have been taken. Very Poorly written.

Not in the de-brief but in the report? Cheap shot.

As for the wording, not developmental at all. Always need to give a route out, always.

Unless by 'high powered flash photography' he had half the crew of sky sports and was using the sun as the flash I don't think you can really include that in an assessment

As you said, half the point of assessments is for development and there is none there at all other than a bit of a dig.

I'd tell him to take it as a compliment. If that's included in the report he can't have had too much else to critisize

Is it possible to appeal along the lines of "I don't have any problem with the issues raised, but I don't believe this report includes suggested fixes/improvements to my refereeing or relevant development points"?

Is it possible to appeal along the lines of "I don't have any problem with the issues raised, but I don't believe this report includes suggested fixes/improvements to my refereeing or relevant development points"?
Only if the comments are wildly out of line with the mark and/or the assessor has made an obvious and significant error in law.

Was it during the day?!? If at night, I could quite possibly understand.

Back