A&H

Online Training Resources

The Referee Store
Have a go at my own personally devised quiz 🤓🧐
I can post the answers later for anyone who has a go :confused:
I crafted this to help a colleague who struggles with LOTG tests

1) A player who requires the Referee's permission to re-enter the field of play, re-enters without the Referee's permission
The player does not interfere with play, but the Referee decides to stop play. The Referee must;
a) Award a direct free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped and warn the player
b) Award an indirect free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped and caution the player
c) Award an indirect free kick from the position of the offending player when play was stopped and caution the player
d) Award an indirect free kick from the boundary line (where the player re-entered) and caution the player

2) With the ball in play, a player leaves the field of play without the Referee's permission and punches the opposition manager
The Referee must
a) Dismiss the offending player and award an indirect free kick from the boundary line nearest to where the incident occurred
b) Dismiss the offending player and award a direct free kick from the boundary line nearest to where the incident occurred
c) Dismiss the offending player and award a direct free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped
d) Dismiss the offending player and award an indirect free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped

3) A player is guilty of dissent whilst the ball is play
Assuming there is no advantage available, the Referee must;
a) Caution the offending player and award an indirect free kick from where the player was when he/she committed the act of dissent
b) Caution the offending player and award a direct free kick from where the player was when he/she committed the act of dissent
b) Caution the offending player and award a dropped ball to the opposition team from where the player was when he/she committed the act of dissent
b) Caution the offending player and award a indirect free kick from where the ball was when he/she committed the act of dissent

4) From which restart would the Referee award a goal if the goal was scored directly into the taker's own goal?
a) Kick off
b) Goal Kick
c) Throw in
d) None of the above

5) The Red team makes a pass and the ball strikes the Referee and goes straight out of play without touching anyone else
The Referee must;
a) Award a throw-in to the Blue Team
b) Award a dropped ball to the Red Team
c) Award an indirect free kick to the Red Team
d) Award a direct free kick to the Red Team

6) At the taking of Kicks from the Penalty Mark after Extra Time has been played, the goalkeeper who was cautioned in normal time, encroaches and the penalty is missed. The encroachment did not impact upon the kicker. Which statement is true?
a) The Kick must be re-taken and the goalkeeper dismissed for a second bookable offence
b) The kick is recorded as missed and the goal keeper is warned if this was his first offence of encroachment during the game
c) The kick is retaken and the goalkeeper is warned if this was his first offence of encroachment during the game
c) The kick is retaken and the goalkeeper is allowed to continue playing after being cautioned

7) There is no offence if a player in an offiside position, receives the ball from;
a) An opponent who intentionally plays the ball
b) A Goal Kick
c) A throw-in
d) All of the above

8) With the ball in play, a Blue Team defender commits a Foul Tackle on a Red Team attacker inside the Blue Team's Penalty Area. The Referee awards a Penalty Kick and decides that the foul was careless and the defender made an attempt to play the ball
The Referee must;
a) Caution the Blue Team defender if the Foul Tackle Stopped a Promising Attack
b) Caution the Blue Team defender if the Foul Tackle amounted to DOGSO
c) Dismiss the Blue Team defender if the Foul Tackle amounted to DOGSO
d) Dismiss the Blue Team defender if the Foul Tackle Stopped a Promising Attack

9) Which of the following is a mandatory caution;
a) Shows a lack of respect for the game
b) Handles the ball carelessly, but does not prevent a Promising Attack or DOGSO
c) Goalkeeeper handles a ball directly from a Throw In taken by a Team Mate. The Goalkeeper is inside her own Penalty Area
d) Enters the Field of Play at Half Time as a substitute without informing the Referee

10) Which of the following describes a Foul Throw at the moment the ball is released?
a) Both feet on the ground. One foot over the touchline
b) One foot off the ground. The ball does not enter the Field of Play
c) Both feet on the ground. Both feet on the touchline
d) Both feet on the ground. Both feet over the touchline. The Thrower is intentionally impeded by an opponent who is one yard away

11) Before Kick Off for the first half, which statement is correct regarding the coin toss?
a) The losing Captain has no possibility of deciding which end to kick towards in the first half
b) The losing Captain's Team might take the Kick Off for the first half
c) The winning Captain must decide which end to kick towards in the first half
d) The losing Captain's Team must decide which end to kick towards in the first half

12) At the taking of a Goal Kick, the defending goalkeeper is the only player in the Penalty Area. The goalkeeper attempts to pass the ball to a Team Mate to the side of the Penalty Area. Which statement is correct?
a) The ball fails to leave the Penalty Area and a defender enters the Penalty Area to intercept the ball. The Referee must stop the game and order the Goal Kick to be retaken
b) An attacker runs through the Penalty Area to challenge the defending player in possession of the ball outside the Penalty Area. The Referee allows play to continue
c) The ball fails to leave the Penalty Area and a defender enters the Penalty Area to intercept the ball. The Referee must stop the game and order the Goal Kick to be retaken and caution the attacker
d) The ball fails to leave the Penalty Area and the goalkeeper retrieves the ball by immediately touching the ball again. The Referee orders a retake of the Goal Kick

13) A defending player commits a careless foul which might stop a Promising Attack. The Referee plays an advantage, the advantage ensues and an attacker shoots at goal. The Goalkeeper makes a save and the ball goes directly over the goal and out of play. What should the Referee do?
a) Award a Corner Kick only
b) Award a Free Kick only at the place where the careless foul occurred
c) Award a Free Kick at the place where the careless foul occurred and caution the defending player who committed the foul tackle
d) Award a Corner Kick and caution the defending player who committed the foul tackle

14) Which statement correctly describes the substitution process
a) The substitution is complete when the substitute enters the Field of Play
b) The substituion must happen anywhere from the touchline such as in front of the Technical Area
c) The substituted player must happen enter the Field of Play at half way on the touchline and the substitution is complete when the substituted player leaves the Field of Play
d) The substitute can enter the Field of Play before the substitutued player leaves the Field of Play

15) During Kicks from the Penalty Mark, the kicker and the goalkeeper commit an offence at the same time. The ball enters the goal. The Referee must
a) Record the goal as scored
b) Record the goal as missed and caution the goalkeeper
c) Record the goal as missed and caution the kicker
d) Record the goal as missed and caution both the kicker and goalkeeper

16) Which of the following results in a Direct Free Kick
a) A player who plays in a dangerous manner but without any contact
b) A player who verbally abuses someone else
c) A ball that strikes a foot and then accidentally hits the same player's arm which is above head height, but there is no goal scoring opportunity
d) A player who spits at an opponent

17) Which statement is true regarding a Dropped Ball
a) The ball is in play when the ball is kicked
b) All opponents must be 5 yards away
c) The ball is in play when the ball strikes the ground
d) A player scores directly from a Dropped Ball. The Referee should award the goal

18) Which statement is true regarding a Free Kick?
a) A defensive wall is formed by 4 players or more
b) Defenders must all remain at least two yards from the defensive wall
c) A goal is awarded if a Free Kick directly enters the taker's own goal
d) If an Indirect Free Kick is scored without the ball does touching any other player, a Goal Kick is awarded

19) A player throws an object in a dangerous manner at a Team Mate and the object strikes the Team Mate in the face. The Referee must
a) Dismiss the thrower and award an Indirect Free Kick to the opposition at the place where the object was thrown
b) Dismiss the thrower and award an Direct Free Kick to the opposition at the place where the object makes contact with the Team Mate
c) Dismiss the thrower when the ball next goes out of play
d) Caution the thrower and award an Indirect Free Kick to the opposition at the place where the object was thrown

20) Which statement is false?
a) The goalkeeper is in control of the ball when the ball when the ball is trapped between the goalkeeper's hand and the ground
b) The goalkeeper is in control of the ball when bouncing the ball
c) The goalkeeper is in control of the ball when the ball is in the palm of an outstretched hand
d) The goalkeeper is in control of the ball when the ball is in contact with the goalkeeper's hand when making a 'save'

areferee.com
Unfortunately not very up to date (or variable, at least). I did 3 quizzes and found at least two questions that were definitely wrong in law (eg. goal kicks must leave the area) and at least two more I thought were dubious! On that point - if the ball is thrown in properly, hits the referee and bounces out of play, what is the correct restart?

Unfortunately not very up to date (or variable, at least). I did 3 quizzes and found at least two questions that were definitely wrong in law (eg. goal kicks must leave the area) and at least two more I thought were dubious! On that point - if the ball is thrown in properly, hits the referee and bounces out of play, what is the correct restart?
Throw in to other team, I think. For a dropped ball the ball has to remain in play.

Are there any decent online quiz/training resources, preferably ones which are upto date?

Obviously not "official" (i.e. from a governing body), but dutchreferee.com always has good material. Jan always does a weekly LOTG quiz during the preseason, and I know you can find those in the archives.

1) b 2) b 3) a 4) d 5) a 6) b 7) d 8) b 9) a 10) a 11) b 12) b 13) a 14) c 15) c 16) d 17) c 18) d 19) b 20) d

Last edited:
Thanks all.

just trying to brush up as it’s been a while since I last blew a whistle so want to make sure I’m on top of any changes etc.

Thanks all.

just trying to brush up as it’s been a while since I last blew a whistle so want to make sure I’m on top of any changes etc.
The IFAB app has a comprehensive list of questions in their Q&A section. Also they highlight the law changes and of course, the current laws.

d
:oops:
Answers have been verified (and hopefully none of the questions are ambiguous or incorrectly worded), so I'm sure the quiz is useful
Really good - and quite testing - quiz! Made me think!

Very very minor typo in 14:

c) The substituted player must happen enter the Field of Play at half way on the touchline and the substitution is complete when the substituted player leaves the Field of Play

Back