A&H

One or two watches

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
Hi,
This is my first full season as a referee. Just asking how many watches do you wear? I currently only use one watch.

The Referee Store
Always two. If you forget to restart your watch or there's an issue with it then you're always covered with 2.

Unless you forget to start both . . .

seriously, I feel naked with only one watch. If you don’t have neutral ARs, you really need two. If you do have neutral ARs, you can get away with one, though I think most still wear two.

seriously, I feel naked with only one watch.
Agreed, I did a pre-season friendly with only one watch on and it didn't feel right!

Even with neutral ARs I've always worn two - one which counts up from 0 which I leave running, and one which counts down from 45 which I start and stop. Like @Ben448844 said, if I should happen to forget to restart it then I still have the other running, and can make a rough estimate of how much added time to play.

This season I now use my Garmin Forerunner 235 with the Referee Timer app on it, which has a timer counting down from 45 and one counting up from 0 - when stopped it vibrates every few seconds so that you don't forget to restart it, and it also buzzes you at the end of 45, and at the end of the added time.

I also use that app on my Garmin. I love it.

and for those who do games that aren’t full length, it is easy to set to whatever times you want (including extra time)

one Argos £7.99 digi
One argos analogue clock face, no starting, stopping needed. ko is 3pm, ht cant be before 345pm, no matter what you do to the digi one

My garmin or refsix crashed after 35 minutes in the second half last week, thankfully i was wearing a casio on the other wrist

Ah, I misunderstood your 1st post then.
I do only take one whistle onto the pitch though, now I'm going to be nervous about it somehow failing

Ah, I misunderstood your 1st post then.
I do only take one whistle onto the pitch though, now I'm going to be nervous about it somehow failing

Do your own thing mate. No need to go out there tooled up like a stationery store!! ;)

I wear two watches (in case one fails on me) but everything else, I just carry one. (Notebook/cards/whistle/writing implement/coin). :cool:

Do your own thing mate. No need to go out there tooled up like a stationery store!! ;)

I wear two watches (in case one fails on me) but everything else, I just carry one. (Notebook/cards/whistle/writing implement/coin). :cool:

one writing implement

the pen dies on one minute, the lead breaks.
you now have no implement

new refs, two, min two writing thingys! if a second bookies pencil is too much for you then you have no chance with a can of spray, signal bip strap and a comms kit!

Last edited:
one writing implement

the pen dies on one minute, the lead breaks.
you now have no implement

new refs, two, min two writing thingys! if a second bookies pencil is too much for you then you have no chance with a can of spray, signal bip strap and a comms kit!

Been okay for the past 10 years.
I'll be sure and let you know if that changes... 😉😁

Been okay for the past 10 years.
I'll be sure and let you know if that changes... 😉😁
You know you just cursed yourself for next week…..

I also can’t go out without a spare whistle in my back pocket (which I have never needed In a soccer game). But I also started back in the day with only pea whistle and the not implausible possibility of the pea dissolving and blowing though the hole. (Which I did have happen once reffing a basketball game).

You know you just cursed yourself for next week…..

I also can’t go out without a spare whistle in my back pocket (which I have never needed In a soccer game). But I also started back in the day with only pea whistle and the not implausible possibility of the pea dissolving and blowing though the hole. (Which I did have happen once reffing a basketball game).

I'm a Fox 40 sonik blast man myself. Never lets me down. 😉
I do of course carry a spare "everything" in my match day ref bag but I sure as Hell don't feel the need to cart it all onto the field with me. 🙂

I wear a second watch, but I've never felt the need to take out a spare whistle. I use a finger grip Fox 40 so there is zero chance of dropping it, and given it has lasted for 15 years, surviving two spins in the washing machine, I'd say there is little chance of it stopping working.

Back