A&H

One for the fitness experts.....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Over the course of this season I have noticed that when I finish a game my hands are noticeably swollen and sometimes hard to make to a fist and/or painful.

A quick trawl through Google suggest that is a common problem but doesn't really suggest any useful solutions.

Just wondered if a) this is as benign as it seems or the symptoms of something else, and b) if anyone else has experienced this and their solutions/coping strategy?

The Referee Store
Over the course of this season I have noticed that when I finish a game my hands are noticeably swollen and sometimes hard to make to a fist and/or painful.

A quick trawl through Google suggest that is a common problem but doesn't really suggest any useful solutions.

Just wondered if a) this is as benign as it seems or the symptoms of something else, and b) if anyone else has experienced this and their solutions/coping strategy?
Are the hands cold and/or numb as well?

Nope, not that I noticed. Just swollen, stiff, and slightly painful to clench. Settled down within 30-45 mins after the end of the game.

Mmmmmm, think I remember reading in a medical journal some time ago about a benign condition where blood and fluid can pool in the extremities that are not being worked during exercise.

Can't remember the name of the condition (if it had one), but the general idea was it was a capillary over reaction that caused a secondary symptom.

Try clenching hands and raising them above your head during breaks in play and after games and see if it improves.

There's no proven way to prevent or reduce most exercise-related hand swelling, but these tips may help ease discomfort:
  • Remove your rings and loosen your watchband before exercise.
  • Perform occasional forward and backward arm circles during exercise.
  • Stretch your fingers wide and then make fists several times during exercise.
The above is pasted from a website...... :)

@Padfoot I have the same symptoms but they occur first thing in the morning, are caused by medication and as mentioned are attributed to pooling of fluid. I would visit your doctor and ask for a circulatory checkup. I find a drink of water before bed aids matters but suspect @Kes suggestions are more relevant for day time symptoms

might seem odd but sounds like cramp make sure you get plenty fluid before, during if possible and after the game

might seem odd but sounds like cramp make sure you get plenty fluid before, during if possible and after the game

Cramp is the accumulation of Lactic Acid in the muscles, a by-product of the muscle oxygenation process during exercise.

Lactic Acid causes the muscles to contact and suddenly tension, not swell or collect fluid.

Cramp is also relieved (temporarily at least) by stretching fully the affected muscles, to counter-act the painful contractions and held disperse the build up of Lactic Acid.

The OP has the opposite of all these symptoms and it is painful only when contracted, not at rest, which is the opposite of cramp.

The pain coupled with the temporary swelling can only be fluid collection that disperses afterwards, what needs to be established is the root cause.

I should point out I'm a medical student and not yet the real thing(!) but this is perfectly normal, and most likely attributed to the vasodilation that occurs as a response to exercise, to allow heat loss through the extremities. In very rare cases it can be a sign of hyponatremia (drinking too much water and not replacing necessary electrolytes during exercise) but this is more often found in long-distance runners, and you'd need to be vomiting and generally feeling very weak for that to even be a consideration.

Try clenching hands and raising them above your head during breaks in play and after games and see if it improves.

This is excellent advice, and definitely something that will help. It is more helpful whilst you are actually exercising, so try that if you can; also try to repeat soon after the game is over. Can't imagine running round with your arms above your head and clenching your fists will do much for match control, but that's a separate problem. Try playing lots of advantage, it will keep your arms elevated!

If you're still concerned, your GP may be able to run some tests, but will be equally likely to relay the same advice found here!

I used to get this when I was in the Army some times, though my symptoms were mild compared to those you described.

It was when we were doing a tab (forced march) or anything else where we were carrying weapons for a prolonged period. I found flexing my hand during the session helped.

However, I'm obviously not a medical professional so as others have said a trip to your gp might be in order.

I occasionally get this, mainly when I'm running the line ...

always put it down to coldness though :confused:

I try not to google anything ... 90% of the time it says to contact a funeral directors as you're dying

So if you Google BBC News it tells you your dying?

Your computer's broke mate! :eek:

Back