A&H

Older trainee Referee

There's no doubt that there is more help available to young referees, but you can still progress as an older referee. I was in my late 30s when I got level 3, and as Russell has said a 63 year old got L3 this season. I think I'm right in saying that Neil Swarbrick started quite late and still spent several years in the Premier League, so it can be done. Graham Scott was 46 when he made PL, and Roger East even older at 48/49, and still going at 53. A local referee was promoted to the Football League lime at 52, 6 years after he had a heart attack.

The only hard limit is FIFA, as you can't get onto that after you are 37.

The Referee Store
This Forum is like the Inside of the great pyramid.... People write hard to decipher waffle on walls and one worships cats for some strange reason! :(

Zimmy
When i qualified a couple of years ago, this was the process
1) Complete the course
2a) If rated as competent, go out and cover 5 games
2b) If identified as needing assistance, go out and cover 5 games, some of which would be mentored
3) Anytime within a year (I think it was a year), go back and pass the exam and have the debrief
Unless this has changed, I don't think you need to commit to a particular date for the exam. However, you might struggle to get games until qualified at Level 7
I started at 43, did 3 months of youth football before tackling the big lads. I'm planning on rolling the promotion dice, but I can't see me going beyond Level 5 (although I know some good refs who have struggled with getting this far) as I fancy that's when an age discrimination would kick in
Welcome to the fold
Thank you ! But I want to do the course and try and get my five games in ASAP ! Otherwise you lose another season considering I went to the workshop in May and my course in in August ! I can’t see that I will be made to have a whole season without qualifying as I said I’m not getting any younger ! I want to do boys football and my understating is there is such a shortage of refs that why wouldn’t one be slightly fast tracked is capable ?

Thank you ! But I want to do the course and try and get my five games in ASAP ! Otherwise you lose another season considering I went to the workshop in May and my course in in August ! I can’t see that I will be made to have a whole season without qualifying as I said I’m not getting any younger ! I want to do boys football and my understating is there is such a shortage of refs that why wouldn’t one be slightly fast tracked is capable ?
The "post 5 games" courses are more than once a year, so you certainly shouldn't have to wait that long! However once you're L7, the promotion season will always go April-March, so you'll either have the choice of trying to do 20+ matches in a shorter amount of time, or wait for the following promotion season to start.

The "post 5 games" courses are more than once a year, so you certainly shouldn't have to wait that long! However once you're L7, the promotion season will always go April-March, so you'll either have the choice of trying to do 20+ matches in a shorter amount of time, or wait for the following promotion season to start.
Agreed. You should find that the exam/seminar sessions are frequent during the playing season. Like once every 4-8 weeks

You can even do your exam in a neighbouring county FA. I did my course in one county and took my exam in another county as the dates were not good for me.

Thanks for your input ! What I am saying is that I need to do 5 games before November as I go away for three weeks in November my call back is after my break so I need to do the games before I go ! I’m hoping it will be possible to do them I have around 7 weeks to fit them in otherwise I might have to come back for a much later callback meaning I do not qualify until mid season January

Thanks for your input ! What I am saying is that I need to do 5 games before November as I go away for three weeks in November my call back is after my break so I need to do the games before I go ! I’m hoping it will be possible to do them I have around 7 weeks to fit them in otherwise I might have to come back for a much later callback meaning I do not qualify until mid season January

I think you should be fine to fit them in really. Either way, it's a minimum of 5 - even if you don't qualify before January or whenever you would do the exam, you can still carry on refereeing.

I think by November you will have done a lot more than 5 games. I normally do at least 2 a weekend but with phone calls and emails and texts have the opurtunity to do about 10 each weekend due to high drop out rate where I am.

On the late starter tip. I also started at 37. This is year six. I've put in quite a shift the last 2-3 seasons. The good news is I reffed national U18 girls top flight last season, national women's second tier this season, as well as top level U15 boys and girls. I've flagged at men's 3rd tier and women's prem friendlies and had a few lesser tournament semis and finals along the way. And it's definitely possible to progress much faster than I have! Knowing what I know - i.e. how much I love it - I wish I had gone for it, especially with the fitness and general knowledge side, from the start of my second season rather than third - that might have got me better prepared to face the competition to get higher in the men's.

That said I do remember being utterly bewildered the first season and was glad I took it slow then!

On the late starter tip. I also started at 37. This is year six. I've put in quite a shift the last 2-3 seasons. The good news is I reffed national U18 girls top flight last season, national women's second tier this season, as well as top level U15 boys and girls. I've flagged at men's 3rd tier and women's prem friendlies and had a few lesser tournament semis and finals along the way. And it's definitely possible to progress much faster than I have! Knowing what I know - i.e. how much I love it - I wish I had gone for it, especially with the fitness and general knowledge side, from the start of my second season rather than third - that might have got me better prepared to face the competition to get higher in the men's.

That said I do remember being utterly bewildered the first season and was glad I took it slow then!

How have you found it fitness-wise?

I was surprised to find out I was quick with sprinting and the crab but, after 30, playing football, and when I started refereeing, I got lots of niggling injuries - thigh this, ankle that, hammy that.. basically lanky glass. I also stood badly i.e. unconvincingly (still not ideal). I realised I would be wise to take any question of fitness/speed out of the equation in the competition to get promoted. Plenty of the young guys are all in the gym and running 19 plus yo-yos so, you know, if you want to be at the table, well, you know!

So, about 2 years ago, I got a trainer who used to be a sprinter, learnt how to look after my weaknesses, how to warm myself up and I practiced running a bit faster and the Yo-yo. I changed the diet too essentially for this. I go to an indoor track and some gym in the off season, I only get the most minor niggles - knee twinges. Praying my knee doesn't go. (If in doubt I always ask my ref for a good warm up).

I just got home from a 10km game where I was sprinting past players at the end on breaks. So, short answer, and I very thankful for this, the fitness has been great. Movement is good and gets comments, I have the confidence to go to the corners, sprint for drops and the legs to chase down break aways. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Blah blah you get the idea... the trainer turned out to be a very very good idea for me and I don't feel like I'm pushing it, I'm not remotely sculpted or anything like that but I'm 44, I've revolutionized my leg mechanics in the last couple of years and I can certainly go 5% faster still in the 40 and 10% at least further in the Cooper... but them's the hard yards now and would take serious effort - would like go do more - but life gets in the way!

I was surprised to find out I was quick with sprinting and the crab but, after 30, playing football, and when I started refereeing, I got lots of niggling injuries - thigh this, ankle that, hammy that.. basically lanky glass. I also stood badly i.e. unconvincingly (still not ideal). I realised I would be wise to take any question of fitness/speed out of the equation in the competition to get promoted. Plenty of the young guys are all in the gym and running 19 plus yo-yos so, you know, if you want to be at the table, well, you know!

So, about 2 years ago, I got a trainer who used to be a sprinter, learnt how to look after my weaknesses, how to warm myself up and I practiced running a bit faster and the Yo-yo. I changed the diet too essentially for this. I go to an indoor track and some gym in the off season, I only get the most minor niggles - knee twinges. Praying my knee doesn't go. (If in doubt I always ask my ref for a good warm up).

I just got home from a 10km game where I was sprinting past players at the end on breaks. So, short answer, and I very thankful for this, the fitness has been great. Movement is good and gets comments, I have the confidence to go to the corners, sprint for drops and the legs to chase down break aways. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Blah blah you get the idea... the trainer turned out to be a very very good idea for me and I don't feel like I'm pushing it, I'm not remotely sculpted or anything like that but I'm 44, I've revolutionized my leg mechanics in the last couple of years and I can certainly go 5% faster still in the 40 and 10% at least further in the Cooper... but them's the hard yards now and would take serious effort - would like go do more - but life gets in the way!
Blimey, sounds complimicated
Also at 44, I just need to stay out the boozer. I'd have to train to pass the fitness test however

the trainer turned out to be a very very good idea for me

I can imagine! I have one myself and since I started work with her I've picked up fewer injuries etc. She's a bodybuilder though! I had to go that route unfortunately, but it's been an eye opener in terms of diet, warm-up routines and training for sure.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice ! I only want to put back to the game that has been good to me ! Now it’s my turn to have a go in the middle be it an old fart or not lol I’d like to think I’m going to be ok after reffing two seasons of under 12 and 11 games as a stand in parent as no one else would do it ! And I found that I enjoyed it so here goes one can only but try

There's no doubt that there is more help available to young referees, but you can still progress as an older referee. I was in my late 30s when I got level 3, and as Russell has said a 63 year old got L3 this season. I think I'm right in saying that Neil Swarbrick started quite late and still spent several years in the Premier League, so it can be done. Graham Scott was 46 when he made PL, and Roger East even older at 48/49, and still going at 53. A local referee was promoted to the Football League lime at 52, 6 years after he had a heart attack.

The only hard limit is FIFA, as you can't get onto that after you are 37.

Thank you great advice ! This is a great site that if all goes well I will be using a lot once again thanks

Back