A&H

Offside

Hi guys.

I've become a referee almost 3 years ago and recently promoted to L6.

I find it quite challenging when you don't have qualified assistants and have to make difficult decisions when it comes to offsides.

Yesterday I've had a game (U16s) and in the second half (at 0-1 for away team) the home team line assistant flagged for an offside. Obviously he flagged when the ball was in the air, but in the end the ball didn't reach that player and a goal was scored by a different player that wasn't in an offside position.

Awarded the goal (0-2) and made the assistant aware he flagged the wrong player. Decision was accepted by home team coaches and parents/spectators.

I was wondering how do you deal with such situations? I'm nearly 40 and always trying to be firm and stand my ground when challenged with difficult situations, but occasionally I see younger referees (when I attend my son's games or other games) "playing safe" and awarding offside kicks for "offsides" that aren't offsides.

In fact, not only younger referees seem to make that kind of decisions...

I obviously want to improve and become a better referee and is important for me to act according to the Laws of the Game.

I was wondering how some of you react when challenged with similar situations or witness that from the outside?

I always brief my "non-qualified" assistants and made them aware about my expectations, especially when it comes to offsides.

After the game, when the assistant handed back the flag acknowledged that he made a mistake saying: "Ref, you were right, I've flagged the wrong player..."

No-one was really upset after the game as the same teams played the day before and the score was 10-1 for the same team that won 0-2 yesterday.

It was a pretty good atmosphere considering that England was playing Croatia shortly after.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623662673849.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623662673849.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 15
The Referee Store
For offsides, I usually always go with my CAR’s decision, unless they flag incorrectly like your situation. I think for typical offsides (through ball to striker who’s now 1 on 1), I think it’s almost impossible to be able to say the CAR is wrong, as they (usually...) are in the best position to see.

I recently went against a CAR who flagged for a player who was offside but made no attempt to play the ball, didn’t influence the defender, wasn’t in the eyeline of the keeper, etc. A defender scuffed his clearance and another player scored. The AR was quite animated and wouldn’t understand my reasoning. I think in situations like this, you just need to trust your knowledge of the lotg and show to everyone (players, spectators and coaches) that you’re confident and know why you’ve gone against the AR. It’s a tough situation because everyone is likely to have inferior knowledge of the lotg to you, but I find the key thing is explaining clearly, confidently and in an approachable manner. In my situation, the AR didn’t accept the decision and made a sarcastic comment to a player about me a few mins later. I should’ve replaced him, but spoke to him and the manager and resolved it. He apologised at FT but still didn’t agree with me, despite me pretty much quoting law

Whenever a waved-down/ignored flag results in a goal, I always go over to the assistant to make sure I've correctly understood why he flagged.

If I've delayed my whistle for similar reasons to above (ie I think he's flagged against a non-interfering player) then go over to ask them what the flag's for: "What have you seen there mate?". Usually they'll say what you expect, at which point you can say "in that case, I'm going to make the decision that the player didn't interfere with play, so the goal is good". Then I'll immediately call the defending captain over, explain the same thing and then award the goal. Never had an issue with this approach.

More tricky is when you've waved down the flag because you think they're just plain wrong in terms of position. In that case, stay at a bit more of a distance and take a slightly more direct approach: "Number 10 in the middle?" "Yep" "From my position he's well onside as the ball was played, so I'm giving the goal". Less likely to go down as well, but you just have to be firm and get on with the game without allowing too much discussion.

For offsides, I usually always go with my CAR’s decision, unless they flag incorrectly like your situation. I think for typical offsides (through ball to striker who’s now 1 on 1), I think it’s almost impossible to be able to say the CAR is wrong, as they (usually...) are in the best position to see.

I recently went against a CAR who flagged for a player who was offside but made no attempt to play the ball, didn’t influence the defender, wasn’t in the eyeline of the keeper, etc. A defender scuffed his clearance and another player scored. The AR was quite animated and wouldn’t understand my reasoning. I think in situations like this, you just need to trust your knowledge of the lotg and show to everyone (players, spectators and coaches) that you’re confident and know why you’ve gone against the AR. It’s a tough situation because everyone is likely to have inferior knowledge of the lotg to you, but I find the key thing is explaining clearly, confidently and in an approachable manner. In my situation, the AR didn’t accept the decision and made a sarcastic comment to a player about me a few mins later. I should’ve replaced him, but spoke to him and the manager and resolved it. He apologised at FT but still didn’t agree with me, despite me pretty much quoting law
Great reply Alex, thanks.

As you've said, unfortunately it is the case of some club assistants to have inferior knowledge of the LotG and some of them do not like their team loosing at all cost. The level of biased people from U14s and below is quite frustrating.
That's why I decided to become a referee in the first place.

Back to yesterday's situation, it might have been poor practice on my behalf. I've only shouted that to the assistant that he flagged too early and awarded the goal. As he didn't show any signs of disagreement. If he would have reacted differently, I would have definitely approached him and explained my point of view.

Great reply Alex, thanks.

As you've said, unfortunately it is the case of some club assistants to have inferior knowledge of the LotG and some of them do not like their team loosing at all cost. The level of biased people from U14s and below is quite frustrating.
That's why I decided to become a referee in the first place.

Back to yesterday's situation, it might have been poor practice on my behalf. I've only shouted that to the assistant that he flagged too early and awarded the goal. As he didn't show any signs of disagreement. If he would have reacted differently, I would have definitely approached him and explained my point of view.
Managing Club Assistant Referees is arguably the hardest part of the job and is one of the main reasons I think 'park football' presents challenges not faced when Refereeing higher up the Saturday ladder
I would recommend using a degree of common sense. Only go against the CAR when they've made a very obvious mistake. Life will be quite difficult for you (as Referee) if you're the only one in attendance who knows why a flag has been dismissed based upon a technicality such as whether or not a defender has attempted to 'play' the ball
I'm not saying ignore the LOTG. I'm saying the LOTG are a framework for you to make decisions that the game expects according to the Level of football you're refereeing. For example, I would say that I'm a different Referee in the Senior County League on Saturdays than I am in kids football or Sunday League Division Z and that seems to work for me

Managing Club Assistant Referees is arguably the hardest part of the job and is one of the main reasons I think 'park football' presents challenges not faced when Refereeing higher up the Saturday ladder
I would recommend using a degree of common sense. Only go against the CAR when they've made a very obvious mistake. Life will be quite difficult for you (as Referee) if you're the only one in attendance who knows why a flag has been dismissed based upon a technicality such as whether or not a defender has attempted to 'play' the ball
I'm not saying ignore the LOTG. I'm saying the LOTG are a framework for you to make decisions that the game expects according to the Level of football you're refereeing. For example, I would say that I'm a different Referee in the Senior County League on Saturdays than I am in kids football or Sunday League Division Z and that seems to work for me
Big Cat, you're quite right.

I would say my approach is slightly different from Sunday Junior to Saturday Senior games.

But, recently while being observed for promotion I've had to wave down club assistants for flagging too early. On both occasions, none of the assesors mentioned it post-match or on their report.

On many occasions the club assistants are mainly substitute players which don't have a clue about the offside rules or are just blatantly biased.

Big Cat, you're quite right.

I would say my approach is slightly different from Sunday Junior to Saturday Senior games.

But, recently while being observed for promotion I've had to wave down club assistants for flagging too early. On both occasions, none of the assesors mentioned it post-match or on their report.

On many occasions the club assistants are mainly substitute players which don't have a clue about the offside rules or are just blatantly biased.
I don't think it's necessary to change your approach to CARs when being observed. Pre-match, tell them something like, 'a late flag is better than flagging early by mistake'. 'Not to flag when the decision is tight'. That sort of thing
Be seen to give the CARs feedback throughout the game. Speak to them during stoppages if there's any concerns. Also, whilst I know it's sometimes impracticable, stop the game to give replacement CARs the same instructions issued pre-match
Despite all this, I've had a two CARs chuck the flag at an opponent and had cheating inferred towards me from another
It's all fun & games down on The Rec

I don't think it's necessary to change your approach to CARs when being observed. Pre-match, tell them something like, 'a late flag is better than flagging early by mistake'. 'Not to flag when the decision is tight'. That sort of thing
Be seen to give the CARs feedback throughout the game. Speak to them during stoppages if there's any concerns. Also, whilst I know it's sometimes impracticable, stop the game to give replacement CARs the same instructions issued pre-match
Despite all this, I've had a two CARs chuck the flag at an opponent and had cheating inferred towards me from another
It's all fun & games down on The Rec
Brilliant advice, thank you.

Never been called a cheat, but there were situations when CARs were called cheats by players or opposition staff...

Back