A&H

Offside flag technique.

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Evening all.

I'm on the line on Sunday, something which I've done 5 or 6 times now. I'm getting more of these appointments this year as I'm on The promotion scheme, previously I've only done lines in cup semis and finals.

I try to pick up as much as possible from the more senior AR with me, but one thing that I've found to be very variable is how long to hold the flag for offsides. I've seen some hold the flag in position until the kicker places the ball in line with him (which can take quite a long time if the ball has been kicked away or a shot was taken. Some ARs seem to hold the flag for a few seconds and then put the flag down before the kicker is anywhere near them. I played over 1000 games of football in my career but nether took any notice of these things yet now they seem much more important!

Advice appreciated

The Referee Store
I asked a very experience Championship Lino about this a few weeks ago.

In England, yes, keep the flag up until the ball is placed.
UEFA, does not apply AFAIK (Sheeeet my ref from today's game is a UEFA ECL lino - I should've asked him!)

My logic is... the position of the IDFK should be from where the player becomes active - and that is almost never where the flag is raised in real life, so waiting for the ball to be placed in line with the flag makes no sense. If you are super human and manage to flag in line with where the player touches the ball, then fine. but reality is it's always a long way shy - so waiting on the same spot for the spot is misleading.

In the prem, the linos flag goalkicks from behind the corner flag - and that I do agree with... you should follow the ball out and then flag...

Yeah we do things differently from other places in Europe, always have!

More often nowadays you raise the flag as the player becomes active so it's usually more or less the right place butI get your point

Agree with above. One thing wasn't mentioned was flag goes up to indicate offside, as soon as the referee blows the whistle you changes to second flag signal (near, middle, far side).

When the law changed for position of offside a few years back, when needed, I changed my position between the first signal and the second signal. It didn't feel right and I didn't see anyone else doing it so I abandoned the practice.

It is still a beautiful vaguery with football that 99% of offside IDFKs are taken from the wrong place.

There’s also the impossible task of flagging from the right place when a player becomes active in their own half.

Would it be a clear and obvious error if an IDFK taken from 10m away from the correct place (the Piop became active) led to a goal?

It is still a beautiful vaguery with football that 99% of offside IDFKs are taken from the wrong place.

There’s also the impossible task of flagging from the right place when a player becomes active in their own half.

Would it be a clear and obvious error if an IDFK taken from 10m away from the correct place (the Piop became active) led to a goal?

Of course it would be an error, just nothing VAR could get involved with!

That not just offside though. The same question can apply to every free kick, or throw in, or dropped ball.... I am fairly sure that is not what clear and obvious error was meant to cover.

Back