A&H

Offside - clarification

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Should be an obvious one i know but just some clarification on this (brand new referee)

If player A passes the ball backwards to player B (hes behind player a) AND HE SCORES that is ok ONSIDE - GOAL

If the ball goes forward but player a again is behind player B is that still the same ONSIDE - GOAL

Does it matter what direction the ball is played or is it all to do with position of the attacker ?

The Referee Store
It is a common myth that the ball has to go forward for it to be offside, that isn't correct and a player can be offside after receiving a pass that was played backwards.

Yes. So the only time I've seen it happen is a cross was played slightly backwards across the penalty area. It missed everyone and then an attacking player who was stood on the goal line on the far side ran back towards his goal to get the ball. He was in an offside position when the ball was played so is offside even though the cross didn't go forward.

Thought that was the case, and just to clarify no matter what direction the ball goes if attacker is level or behind his team mate when he receives the pass he is ONSIDE

Thought that was the case, and just to clarify no matter what direction the ball goes if attacker is level or behind his team mate when he receives the pass he is ONSIDE
Not quite. Its not about where he is when he receives the pass. Its the position he is when the pass is made that matters when determining ON/OFFside.

Still not quite :)

Its not about if he is behind or in front of his team mate, its about if he is behind, level or in front of the ball. Level or behind the ball at the time the ball last touched a team mate (pass or not) means he is not offside.

And still further not quite :)

It is about BOTH the ball and team mates.

First question is whether he (or she) is nearer the goal line than the ball at the moment it is touched or played by a teammate. If not, then there is no question of offside at all.

If the player is nearer than the ball, THEN we look at opposition players. There needs to be TWO of them level or closer than the player. One is usually the goal keeper, but it does not have to be.

On the finer points of offside, the term 'in front of' or 'behind' the opponent/ball are not perfect as they could be wrongly thought of which way a player is facing rather than the direction of attack (as its meant).

However the term 'nearer to the goal line' is also not perfect. The intent of the law and common expectation (I believe) is that an attacker who is off the field of play as part of normal playing acts (e.g. a slide tackle) is in an offside position even if he is further away from the goal line than the ball and second last opponent.

position of team mates really are not a factor. It is the position of the attacker in relation to the ball and the 2LD at the time it is played by a team mate. I am glad that you asked the question as I have seen experienced referees who were not players get the call incorrect when the scenario is something like a 2 attackers vs 1 GK only and attacker A passes the ball forward into the path of attacker B BUT attacker B had not been level with the ball at the time of the pass. The forward movement of the ball is deceptive. Keep your focus :)

There was a infamous one doing the rounds on a live tv game here like ten years ago, where a player stepped from an offside position and took a ball which had been played backwards, it confused the studio guests

I also flagged for one last season, first time for me, two guys about to take a very short corner, so, corner kicker as good as on/off park, i.e beyond second last defender and ahead of ball, he touched ball just outside of arc, team mate stopped it for him to step into it and cross it...offfside. Caused a bit of confusion tbh, including with the ref who took it but i could tell he was unaware

yeah, it's surprising how many people don't realise that offside can be called if the ball is played backwards. Direction of the ball is 100% irrelevant.

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out rolls it backwards to a team mate who rolls into empty net GOAL

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out rolls it forward to a team mate who was behind him rolls into empty net GOAL

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out plays ball backwards behind team mate who was ahead of him, he reacts and scores OFFISDE

Agreed ?

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out rolls it backwards to a team mate who rolls into empty net GOAL

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out rolls it forward to a team mate who was behind him rolls into empty net GOAL

Attacker one on one with keeper 8 yards out plays ball backwards behind team mate who was ahead of him, he reacts and scores OFFISDE

Agreed ?
Er.. arouse me when you encounter the last scenario :confused:

Back