A&H

Open Age OFFINABUS

Viking

After a particularly harrowing experience the day before involving OFFINABUS by a junior coach and off the ball stampings and follow throughs (separate thread on it), I went over to the rec with my 11 year old and ended up watching the local village Sunday league fixture. The pitch is next to a childrens' play area with many children playing, mostly related to the players.

Having heard several F&A every day language, as a goal kick is about to be taken, one player comes out with the classic, 'phucking 'ell lads, let's show some phucking bollox'. Fortunately, this wasn't a call to action but the ref did call the player over for a word at the next break in play. Clearly the player was not happy with being pulled up. The ref said his piece and whilst moving away the player said, 'Phuck off. If you're telling me to shut up, you should be telling him as well', and gesticulated to an oppo player. This was all within 10 yards and hearing of the ref who just muttered something and restarted play.

The ref has been reffing for over 25 years. For me, that's a clear straight red. Is that harsh or would you be doing the same?

The Referee Store
For me, am not offended or can class that as insulting etc...no way. Industrial, yes.
unnecessary, certainly, do we want to hear that, prob not.

of course you had to be there but not in a million years would I expect a red card for that.

Its a YHTBT but most likely a yellow. Very much dependent on the context of the whole game. If I have been letting industrial language go by for most of the game, I would most likely take that as dissent but nothing less.

I dont think its dissent sorry. Dissent is a show of disagreement to a decision for example.
'Phuck off. If you're telling me to shut up, you should be telling him as well'

The f off part of this is only to make the rest of his sentence a strong disagreement with what I have done (decided). Simply put, it is border line dissent without the "f off", the "f off" clearly throws it well in over the borderline.

Straight red for me..........I find such language directed at an official offensive, simple pimple.

IMHO, these are the types of interactions that are very dependent on league and accepted standards. In the WC, heck, the R doesn't even notice what was said. (There were at least two examples where it was easy to lip read very loud f-you in the face of the ref in the last WC with no sanction at all.) In the youth league I ref in, that's a straight red, every time, no questions asked. And other competitions are everywhere in between.

A clearly intentional f*** off is about as disrespectful as it gets, a comment that has no purpose other than to offend and show the greatest disrespect. It's a definite red for me. f*** off is directed at me.

Storms off saying 'oh FFS, blah blah', THAT's industrial language

I dont think its dissent sorry. Dissent is a show of disagreement to a decision for example.
1) You seriously arguing that telling the ref to f*** off isn't a card of any colour????
2) he is disagreeing - re-read the actual comment

A clearly intentional f*** off is about as disrespectful as it gets, a comment that has no purpose other than to offend and show the greatest disrespect. It's a definite red for me. f*** off is directed at me.

Storms off saying 'oh FFS, blah blah', THAT's industrial language

1) You seriously arguing that telling the ref to f*** off isn't a card of any colour????
2) he is disagreeing - re-read the actual comment

In every game on tv, as we have proved, we have plenty occasions where its been shown plenty of times that telling the referee to f off, is worthy of, Nothing

I'm talking about games that use the FIFA Laws of the Game.

And am talking about what we see beemed into our homes 4 times live at a weekend
F off,clear as day, in each game, no card

So when you ask if f off seriously gets no card, well, seriously, it gets no card

And am talking about what we see beemed into our homes 4 times live at a weekend
F off,clear as day, in each game, no card
And? So we see it on TV. What's your point? We all know that the laws are treated as a joke because of the almighty dollar.

By your logic I'm assuming you were also opposed to parks level referee enforcing the jewellery law until a couple of years ago.

We see players call referees f***** cheats on television. I suppose you're arguing that isn't a card of any colour?

OFFINABUS doesn't exist in the professional game.

I know you're smart enough to not be a 'i saw somebody on TV do it this way so everybody should do it this way' type of ref so I really don't know what you're on about here.

Am saying that f off does not need a card.
Be great if it was. Ideally a red
But in reality, hand on heart, I doubt each and every time we hear, f off ref, we issue a card

I've had two 'F offs' projected in my direction as a reaction to decisions this year. Both were met with a YC for dissent
I'm not all together happy with this, but it's the language of football and I can't change that. It can only be done from the top down and there's no appetite for that as we know

Last edited:
But in reality, hand on heart, I doubt each and every time we hear, f off ref, we issue a card
I'm truly astounded by some of the comments on here but this one typifies it. Have we moved so far away from the LOTG, that an f off, directed straight at an official is seen by some as not even a yellow let alone a red? No wonder your fellow Referees are abused up and down the land.

Reactions: one
Tell a ref to f off and don't expect anything.... Worrying.. No wonder this game's culture is so toxic

Back