A&H

Offensive player intentionaly inside the goal in a corner kick and comes to the playing area just as the corner is being kick.

The Referee Store
I don't think there is anything in the laws that could stop them doing this.

But it's a bit of a random question with no context

Within the goal, comes back onto the pitch as taken - as long as he is not offside if / when he gets / goes for the ball get on with it. Althoigh he's off the pitch, there's not exactly a lot of places he can go as he's confined inside the net.

If he stays there and as a result of being in the net stops the ball crossing the line, that's another matter.

If the player is using this as an ongoing tactic (rather than just being nudged into the goal as part of usual Corner Kick jostling!) then I'd be getting this stopped. Technically he's leaving the FOP without permission and therefore could be cautioned. But I think a quiet word would suffice. Especially as we'd be unconcerned with a GK doing likewise to grab his water bottle during the course of the game

Keep in mind that the lines are part of the area they bound so to be "in the goal" and off the FOP, he can't be touching the line. Assuming he is completely in the goal, here is the issue.... he is doing this to make it more difficult to mark him and he may move to the ball through uncongested space by travelling within the goal itself. This should be addressed. I agree that a quiet word should be sufficient. Unlike a GK getting his drink, this is being done as a tactic to gain an advantage. Where would you draw the line if not here? How many players would you allow to be inside the goal? Would you then allow them to stand outside the goal but off the FOP against the goal? I have seen a video from a high school game of an attacking player running behind the goal on a corner re-entering on the other side of the goal where he received the ball and scored. The referee in that video unfortunately (and incorrectly) let the goal stand.

I agree that in the instance at hand, the player has left the FOP. I would address it before the kick. If they continue to do it after you have warned them, it is technically leaving the FOP (YC)

I don't have an issue with it. Him being in the goal is part of normal playing movement for me which the law allows. The law also specifically allows an attacking player to be inside the goal when a goal is scored (unless he commits an offence) which tells me being in goal is part of normal play.

I don't believe what he does makes it harder to mark him as the defenders can do the same. Running around the goal is a different matter though.

as long as he is not offside if / when he gets / goes for the ball get on with it.
Offside is considered when the ball last touches a team mate, not when he gets/goes for the ball. Remember though, you can't be offside from a corner kick.

Well, players are meant to remain on the field of play, if I saw this, I like to think I would be proactive and indicate to the player that I want him back on the pitch. ( at this point am not considering yc for LTFOP)
Players off course will naturally leave the pitch in open play, there momenteum with take them off, and, players can leave the park with the referee's permission, and I suppose if we are being pedantic, they are off the park to take throws and corners.

Grounds for calling offside at your situation? You cant be offside at a corner kick, but, could this be technically because anybody ahead of the ball at a corner is going to be off the pitch, and therefore should not be there.

No issues with player ending up off pitch, i do have issue with players starting position being off the pitch.

From a technical perspective, I think the player is leaving the field and could theoretically be cautioned. In the extreme scenario (running around the goal frame/net, I would go there. With a player just off, I'm not going to be concerned and no one else is likely to be either. If the player is hiding further back in the goal (and I notice, as it isn't something I'm looking for) I'll tell him to get back on the field. If players are complaining, I'll deal with it. But a caution would be pretty heavy handed.

I don't have an issue with it. Him being in the goal is part of normal playing movement for me which the law allows. The law also specifically allows an attacking player to be inside the goal when a goal is scored (unless he commits an offence) which tells me being in goal is part of normal play.

I don't believe what he does makes it harder to mark him as the defenders can do the same. Running around the goal is a different matter though.

Offside is considered when the ball last touches a team mate, not when he gets/goes for the ball. Remember though, you can't be offside from a corner kick.
Surely what the OP describes is not consistent with a normal playing movement. The ball is dead. It’s leaving and re-entering without permission. It’s also an attempt at deception.

Best advice is to stop this as soon as you see it.

Well, players are meant to remain on the field of play, if I saw this, I like to think I would be proactive and indicate to the player that I want him back on the pitch. ( at this point am not considering yc for LTFOP)
Players off course will naturally leave the pitch in open play, there momenteum with take them off, and, players can leave the park with the referee's permission, and I suppose if we are being pedantic, they are off the park to take throws and corners.

Grounds for calling offside at your situation? You cant be offside at a corner kick, but, could this be technically because anybody ahead of the ball at a corner is going to be off the pitch, and therefore should not be there.

No issues with player ending up off pitch, i do have issue with players starting position being off the pitch.
Agree 100%. Just be proactive, tell him to come back onto the pitch. Easy.

Him being in the goal is part of normal playing movement for me which the law allows.
But that's the whole point, surely? Was it part of a playing movement? The way it is described in the OP pretty much makes it sound as if it was a deliberate ploy and not part of a playing movement.

The normal scenario where the "part of a playing movement" clause applies for me, is the one described in the old Q&A's:
A player in possession of the ball passes over the touch line or the goal line without the ball in order to beat an opponent. What action does the referee take?

Play continues. Going outside the field of play may be considered as part of a playing movement, but players are expected, as a general rule, to remain within the playing area.

This is far from the scenario in the OP. The player has deliberately gone off the field when the ball was out of play and some 30 or 40 yards away, he has not been forced off and is not in pursuit of the ball, so I'm not at all convinced it meets the criteria for "a player who crosses a boundary line as part of a playing movement."

The wording in law is "A player who crosses a boundary line as part of a playing movement, does not commit an offence." Playing movements are not limited to when in possession of the ball or in fact limited to when the ball is in play. When taking a free kick is another example. the Q&A has given one example of it, entire not the extent it should be applied.

I would apply the same for a defender. E.g take a couple of steps into the net so he can take a run up and be able to jump higher for goal line header clearance.

Now the OP says nothing about deceiving. If he does it to pretend he is out of play (deceiving similar to offside purposes) then it is a card. But as descried in the title, it is a tactical movement in play for me and within the LOTG. As stated earlier, it does not give him an unfair advantage. The defenders are free to mark him as per normal.

The wording in law is "A player who crosses a boundary line as part of a playing movement, does not commit an offence." Playing movements are not limited to when in possession of the ball or in fact limited to when the ball is in play. When taking a free kick is another example. the Q&A has given one example of it, entire not the extent it should be applied.

I would apply the same for a defender. E.g take a couple of steps into the net so he can take a run up and be able to jump higher for goal line header clearance.

Now the OP says nothing about deceiving. If he does it to pretend he is out of play (deceiving similar to offside purposes) then it is a card. But as descried in the title, it is a tactical movement in play for me and within the LOTG. As stated earlier, it does not give him an unfair advantage. The defenders are free to mark him as per normal.
This is one of the few instances where disagree with One. The free kick example is a normal part of play. The free kick if located near a boundary may reasonably require a player to step off the field to have room to approach for the kick with the ultimate goal of getting the ball back in play. The OP describes something dissimilar in my opinion.

I would address it when I saw it

This is one of the few instances where disagree with One. The free kick example is a normal part of play. The free kick if located near a boundary may reasonably require a player to step off the field to have room to approach for the kick with the ultimate goal of getting the ball back in play. The OP describes something dissimilar in my opinion.

I would address it when I saw it

Really responding to your tag line--do you really not know why it's called soccer? Our friends in England created that name, not us Americans.

I don't believe what he does makes it harder to mark him as the defenders can do the same.
Sorry, but I disagree. As mentioned in the FIFA Q&A quoted above, "players are expected, as a general rule, to remain within the playing area." The attacker should not normally be off the field in the first place so there should be no need for defenders to go off the field in response to that. We do not want to normalize a situation where multiple players start standing outside the playing area to mark each other at a dead ball situation. As others have said, if players are slightly and temporarily off the field as the normal amount of 'jostling for position' goes on at a corner, it's a trivial matter that can be ignored, or if it's the first time it happens and you can't be absolutely sure why the player is doing this, a simple warning should suffice.

But deliberately going and standing off the field while the ball is out of play and you are not involved in taking the restart is not something we want to have routinely occurring so I think we should acting to discourage players from doing this. For instance, if we allow this at corners, what about throw-ins? Would you allow a player (and if you allow one, why not several) to deliberately stand off the field when a team mate is taking a throw-in? And if you would, then would you allow the opponents to follow them off the pitch as well? How many players are you going to allow to be off the pitch?

For me, the basic principle espoused in the law is that players need the referee's permission to be off the field and while there are a number of fairly common exceptions to that (which have already been mentioned several times in this thread) they all involve some kind of overarching justification. Players aren't entitled to just decide to deliberately go and stand off the field of play whenever and wherever they want.

Last edited:
My thoughts were always "it is acceptable within reason" and for me OP sounded within reason . But I can see your point even thogh slightly exaggerated (whenever, wherever... Etc) :). I can also see the points some others have made. In light of me being in the overwhelming minority here, I think I may have to rethink my position (and get back in the field of play).
Just need sometime to convince myself I should take action the first time I see it.

In fairness... 5 years and about 600 games.... I have yet to see this. Jostling on the line... yes. Actually going deep into the goal... no. Of course I wouldn't have believe someone would run around the outside of a goal either until I saw the video posted on another site. :)

Back