A&H

Odd/annoying state of affairs

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
(Supposedly) have an O/A County Cup semi final line on Sunday.

As of yesterday I hadn't received match details, aside from the Full Time email.

As I was a replacement (Appointed last weekend) thought I would email referee and other assistant to see if they had match details.

Other assistant hasn't had match details either and referee hasn't replied.

I'm going to email appointments officer tomorrow afternoon if still no news by then.

PS I'm against officials having to chase clubs - especially as its a CC semi!

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
i'd be inclined to phone the referee myself tbh, you never know , his email address may be defunct... but yes a bit odd that he's not contacted anyone as yet

i'd be inclined to phone the referee myself tbh, you never know , his email address may be defunct... but yes a bit odd that he's not contacted anyone as yet

Neither has the club which is the most important thing!

I'll text referee tomorrow before I email appointments officer I think.

Not sure what arrangements are in your area but here the club, league or association would contact the referee only and he would then make arrangements with the assistants. Like RR, I'd be inclined to chase your referee first.

I do more assisting than middles and in all my matches I have always been contacted by the club with match details.

I will text referee now I think.

Out of courtesy I contact my assistants on a Tuesday night for a Saturday KO. This is usually ahead of the club notification.

As an assistant I get nervous if I haven't heard from the ref by Thursday night. That is despite club and fa full time confirmations.

Bit of a mess this one now! Referee had to come off the game, but didn't tell appointments officer.

He (Appt officer) is none too pleased & is going to find a replacement. Original referee forwarded a text with ground directions, but no KO time, that only he, but not us assistants, were sent!

I've now emailed club direct to get match details (and KO time!) for me and other assistant, while we wait for a new ref to be appointed.:confused:

The one time I have had no contact from a club was for a county schools game. I had NARs but one was appointed very late.I didn't know I should have been n contact with them. On contacting clubs I normaly contact them as close to geeting the appointment as I can. A quick text and a request of confirmation of ground and KO time takes a minute. It shows proffesionalism. I do know you are quite right to wait for clubs to get in touch with you but I like early contact!

What's wrong with phoning the relevant parties. Don't rely on email and text, the personal approach.

Chase the club yourself, get the details and then report them for not confirming the required days before ( if there are set dates in the rules). Don't be the sheep, lead the problem and then deal with the issues afterwards.

Latest is that we now have a new referee, but club still hasn't confirmed match details.

Yes, get what you say re phone, but one email from the club would/will sort everything out (Still nothing so far) - otherwise am I as AR supposed to chase club, then ring ref, then ring other AR? It IS a CC semi, you would think club would WANT 3 officials to be there?:confused:

New referee has now made contact, club haven't.
He is at Cup Finals evening tonight, so that's good - we can meet up and plan a course of action - I suspect he will have to ring the club tomorrow!

Latest is that we now have a new referee, but club still hasn't confirmed match details.

Yes, get what you say re phone, but one email from the club would/will sort everything out (Still nothing so far) - otherwise am I as AR supposed to chase club, then ring ref, then ring other AR? It IS a CC semi, you would think club would WANT 3 officials to be there?:confused:

If you are worried that you are going to be the only one there, or the game has been cancelled and they haven't told you - you need to ring people. It doesn't seem fair, but you need to ensure that you are prepared for the match. Manage the pre-match and don't worry about other not doing their jobs.

If you are worried that you are going to be the only one there, or the game has been cancelled and they haven't told you - you need to ring people. It doesn't seem fair, but you need to ensure that you are prepared for the match. Manage the pre-match and don't worry about other not doing their jobs.

Meeting up with referee tonight at Cup Final evening. Appointments officer will also be there, as club haven't responded to his (Appts officer) email or mine, we will discuss what we should do next over a sandwich tonight!

Club ended up ringing the referee but not us assistants.

Referee (Level 4) was excellent, game less so. Home team won 11-0, first goal 20 seconds in, 7-0 at H/T.

Unusual for there to be such a disparity at S/F level.

Players do make you laugh though - one to another (oppo) halfway through 2nd half:-

"That lino over there hates us", the reply "Well this one over here (me!) hates us"

Me and fellow "lino" of course hadn't even heard of the teams before we were appointed!

Apart from an annoying delay in getting fees paid at the end, no problems at all!

Back