A&H

Obstruction

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
I had a player land on top of the ball (unintentionally), preventing anybody else from playing it. There were appeals for obstruction and as I was not certain that this law even existed, I did not penalise. Fortunately play developed quickly and the whole incident was forgotten.

I did not remember it being mentioned on my Basic Referees' Course and after the game I consulted the Laws of the Game and found nothing. I had heard of this rule before I became qualified so I am wondering, does it actually exist?

The Referee Store
Yes if a player stops ball dead via obstruction then if he play does not develop after a few seconds then penalize

There is no such thing as obstruction. There is impeding opponent or holding (worth reading up on as holding is not exactly what the name implies in that it does not mean holding just with the hands!)

I would call what you describe as playing in a dangerous manner and give an indirect free kick against the guy on the ball.

agree with Monkey; no such offence as obstruction these days, but impeding an opponent can be similar. This incident is the classic 'playing in a dangerous manner', the person in most danger being the fella laying on the ball! Indirect free-kick against him all day for me.

Back