A&H

Observation #1

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Finally got my first observation yesterday.

Only thing he mentioned to me was at some points my positioning was a bit off in regards to final thirds where I put myself between ball and assistant.
Not wanting to give him excuses for this but I had slightly pulled a muscle towards end of 1st half and was definitely feeling it second half. So I was giving myself some advantage for a long clearance as the team attacking kept going wide left. Didn't mention this to him, just let him do the talking and accepted his comments.
Took it on board though and will look to improve that aspect.

There was nothing in the game that I could show my authority in the sense of persistent fouls or anything except one caution I gave following away captain commiting two fouls in less than 30 seconds (quick free kick) with the second being more reckless. I got that right he said which is good to hear.

He was impressed with the way I handled substitutions. Instructed the teams I want subs on at halfway line. I controlled them by running over to each one and making them wait until the player was off. By doing this I managed to stop a player coming on who was not on the team sheet, and not allowing it to get messy.

Not had it through in email yet but hoping for a good mark on it. Did not suggest otherwise it would be bad.

The Referee Store
I did an U18 game yesterday and i'd estimate there was approx. 25 rolling substitutions
Whilst I'd expected some assessors to compliment your management of subs, I think it can get impracticable at Grass Roots, especially at Youth level in which roll-on roll-off gets silly

I did an U18 game yesterday and i'd estimate there was approx. 25 rolling substitutions
Whilst I'd expected some assessors to compliment your management of subs, I think it can get impracticable at Grass Roots, especially at Youth level in which roll-on roll-off gets silly
I'd fully expect every county / observer to have a different view on this ..... but ... I have in the past been given an 'official' line that with RoRo subs, it's imperative that a referee personally manages the first entrance of any new player (to check name, kit etc) but if it's a returning player then it's ok so long as it's done at the halfway line and he waits until the departing player has left the FOP. Which kind of makes sense, as checking a player's kit two or three times is a bit futile (especially when we don't recheck all players' kit after the half time interval!). Caveat to this would be in a cup game with possible KFTPM where it's obviously vital to know who's on the FOP after the 90 / 120 mins .....

I'd fully expect every county / observer to have a different view on this ..... but ... I have in the past been given an 'official' line that with RoRo subs, it's imperative that a referee personally manages the first entrance of any new player (to check name, kit etc) but if it's a returning player then it's ok so long as it's done at the halfway line and he waits until the departing player has left the FOP. Which kind of makes sense, as checking a player's kit two or three times is a bit futile (especially when we don't recheck all players' kit after the half time interval!). Caveat to this would be in a cup game with possible KFTPM where it's obviously vital to know who's on the FOP after the 90 / 120 mins .....
Thanks for the info. I've watched countless referees at grass roots level over recent years and i'm yet to see one implement such a process. I wonder if this level of diligence is largely absent at L7, until the day the observer appears (and then absent again the following week)

I was diligently doing every sub (not rolling) at the halfway line on a Sunday morning. The observer who does up to 2Bs asked me what are your priorities?
Coaching advice was to get the player to come to you and check them on the pitch. They've all got different opinions.

Kids game i done yesterday U14s i swear the second half there was a sub every two minutes.
I understand this is why in our top U13-15 leagues IIRC they are only allowed 3 substitution "events" in the second half. To avoid 7 subs coming one minute apart in the last 10 mins...

True. However it is our job to check it is written in the laws of the game.. but do check competition rules too, because some leagues may not have rolling substitutions.... yes alot of work though...

rolling subs are a nightmare if as padfoot says they are done properly
Agreed.

Which is why I believe it is entirely appropriate to only check kit the first time a new player comes onto the FOP. Whilst the LOTG currently don't have different protocol for rolling subs, it makes no logical sense to check a returning player's kit when we do not check the kit of players at the start of the second half .....

Back